Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Helpme2please Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 10:27 AM
    Community Debt
    I was married for 12 yrs. Divorced 5 yrs ago and kept our house (payment and 2nd mortgage). When it came time to sell the house that he had relinquished all rights to it had a judgement against the deed because he had not taken his name off the deed and owed the local hospital money. I had to pay the judgement off to get a clear deed in order to sell the house, per our agreement. Can I sue my ex-husband in small claims court for this money?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Yes, you can, or have it taken out of the profit from the sale of the house.
    Helpme2please Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpme2please
    I was married for 12 yrs. Divorced 5 yrs ago and kept our house (payment and 2nd mortgage). When it came time to sell the house that he had relinquished all rights to it had a judgement against the deed b/c he had not taken his name off the deed and owed the local hospital money. I had to pay the judgement off to get a clear deed in order to sell the house, per our agreement. Can I sue my ex-husband in small claims court for this money?
    That is the problem. He did not receive any profit from the sell of the house. Upon separation he relinquished all rights to the house. I paid all bills and therefore was the only one paid at the closing of the sell of the house. He says because we were married when he was in the hospital it is a community bill and I had to pay it because he was not going to. Is that correct? Thanks for your help.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Well, if you were married at the time of the hospitalization, and if you were listed as the secondary financial person on the bill--- your ex-hubby might be right. Check with your attorney. You might possibly be able to sue the ex-husband in small claims court.

But then, why did your attorney not follow-up and get your husband's name off the deed to the house?

When I divorced, my ex-husband and I had to list all individual debt and all "community" debt as part of the divorce proceedings. So, why was this debt not identified at that time? Were you not aware of his hospitalization?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poets in community [ 2 Answers ]

Would love to know on ways to reach helping community through poetry. Its giving kind of poetic therapy...

Community Service [ 3 Answers ]

This may sound stupid and all but, a few months ago I came across a dog that was being badly abused and starved... so I notified the animal cops. It has been a few months now and the dog is still left to die, they did nothing about it. Well... I now find myself wanting to do something, like...

View more questions Search