Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ceilingfangirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Wiring a ceiling fan with light, remote and 2 wall switches
    My new Harbor Breeze Avian comes with a remote, ceiling fan and light. My previous ceiling fan worked off two switches, one for the light and one for the fan. To get it to work, we wired black to black, white to white and red to blue. But now it only works off the 2 switches and the remote does not work. Is it possible to get the remote to work with the switches or do I have to wire it so that the remote works? If so, then should I cap the red and connect blue to blue? Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 20, 2011, 06:14 PM
    If you want to control your fan via the remote you can abandon one switch and just run the black, white and ground to the receiver. Leave that swicth on 24/7 so the remote will always be hot. Coming out of the receiver you will have a black for the hot/fan, common white for both fan and light. The light gets the blue wire. Your receiver has but one input for power so that second switch should be undone/removed/abandoned

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring for a remote control ceiling fan with two switches [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a hunter ceiling fan remote (the fan has pull chains). I have two switches on the wall one for the lights and one for the fan. So coming from the ceiling is 4 wires black, red, white, copper. The fan has a black, blue, green, white. The receiver has black (hot), white (neu), black...

Wiring ceiling fan and light on four 3-way switches [ 21 Answers ]

I took down the ceiling fan/light combo in my garage with plans to install two receptacles to plug fluorescent lights into. The fan was controlled by two 3-way switches, and the light by two 3-way switches. I want to have the switches control the new receptacles. I was able to get one of the...

Ceiling fan wiring with transmitter, remote, and 2 switches? [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a few other fans in the house that didn't have remotes and they were very easy to install/wire. I am trying to install an outdoor ceiling fan at my house which is brand new and had a prewire installed during construction. The fan I am installing in a Hampton Bay Veranda II which has...

Wiring new ceiling light with 2 wall switches. [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! Need help to a simple wiring problem. Just installed a new ceiling light with 2 wall switches. Both fixture bulbs have a black and white wire. The ceiling outlet has 2 red , white and black wires, and a ground. The previous fixture did not use the red wires. I connect the fixture black to...

Wiring a remote controlled fan to run from dual switches on wall [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a new remote controlled hampton bay mediterranian fan and want to be able to control the fan and lights from wall switches as well. How do I wire it to the switches to run each separately?

View more questions Search