Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tweek336 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 12:22 PM
    Why does the TV keep cutting on and off?
    We have had the same TV in the same room for over a year. Yesterday it starts cutting on and off. I thought the TV was just bad so I replaced it. The new TV did the same thing. Now I thought it was the outlet so I get a extension cord try a different outlet nothing changes. If I face the TV away from the window it works fine the same remote works both of the tvs that I tried. If I take the TV to the other side of the house it works fine. What kind of signal could I be picking up through the window that can be cutting a TV on and off?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2011, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweek336 View Post
    We have had the same tv in the same room for over a year. Yesterday it starts cutting on and off. I thought the tv was just bad so i replaced it. The new tv did the same thing. Now I thought it was the outlet so i get a extension cord try a different outlet nothing changes. If I face the tv away from the window it works fine the same remote works both of the tvs that i tried. If I take the tv to the other side of the house it works fine. What kind of signal could I be picking up thru the window that can be cutting a tv on and off?
    Infrared radiation from the sun. Your remote control works via infrared signals.
    Tweek336 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 01:56 PM
    As it turns out the remote to the old TV power was stuck on and cuting on and of the other TV...
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2011, 04:08 PM

Glad you found it... surprised a different tv's remote would do that to the new one... the codes are so different the odds of that were pretty low.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2011, 07:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Glad you found it....surprised a different tv's remote would do that to the new one....the codes are so different the odds of that were pretty low.
    Eh, not necessarily. If both TVs were the same brand (definitely likely since people tend to buy a lot of the same brand).

I've also seen where the neighbor had the same TV and was flipping channels from across the way.
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2011, 08:19 PM

Yes... assuming it's the same brand it's more likely. But Some brands can have 6 or more different codes possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting saw [ 2 Answers ]

There must be a tool for cutting away rotten wood. Your up on a ladder and you want to remove a section of wood. A skill saw is too heavy, a jig saw cuts awkwardly. There must be a light small tool With a cutting wheel for this type of work?

My frind stop cutting or other ways then cutting [ 3 Answers ]

My closest friend cutts because she was verbally, physically, and sexually abused. But I don't know how to help and its hurts me that she feels that she needs to cut her self to hind the pain. She tried killing herself 3 times and stopped cutting for 1 month but couldn't take it anymore

Craftsman riding lawnmower cutting off in middle of cutting grass [ 1 Answers ]

Craftsman Riding lawnmower is cutting off in middle of cutting grass and then start it back it will cut for awhile then do again. Does sound like it isn't getting gas. Can some on help.

Cutting [ 7 Answers ]

Im a 13 year old girl. Every time I get sad, I take a razor, and I cut myself. I want to stop. But I don't know how. What should I do?

Cutting myself [ 2 Answers ]

I stopped cutting myself for my boyfriends sake and I have the scars to prove the cuts he didn't and doesn't like it when I hurt myself on purpouse but know he has broken up with me I have starved myself and I have tried to cut myself well I have a problem I think it some mental disorder to of my...

View more questions Search