Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RME1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2007, 03:40 AM
    Hot water tank is cold
    I recently turned the water off to repair a pipe which I had accedently hammered a nail through.
    When I turned the water back on everything worked fine, but I've now noticed that when I put the heating on, the radiators all work but the water in the hot water tank doesn't heat up. Water comes out of the hot tap as normal, but it is just cold.
    Any idea what could be causing this?

Cheers,

Rob
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RME1
    I recently turned the water off to repair a pipe which I had accedently hammered a nail through.
    When I turned the water back on everything worked fine, but I've now noticed that when I put the heating on, the radiators all work but the water in the hot water tank doesn't heat up. Water comes out of the hot tap as normal, but it is just cold.
    Any idea what could be causing this?

Cheers,

Rob
    If you drained the system down to make the repair, then you probably need to bleed the air out of the radiators -- There should be a bleed valve located somewhere on the side, near the top of the radiators.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Ok, I'm a bit confused. Your hot water heater is also your heat? I've seen a few of these units but they are rare, unless it is a modern combo-boiler.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water venting into cold water tank [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I posted my query here a while back but unfortunately it appears to have been left to fester :confused: (query was hot water from cold water tap). After a couple more visits by a plumber, his view is that the hot water tank is overheating, venting hot water into the cold water tank at the...

Radiators not working to full capacity cold at bottom [ 2 Answers ]

Radiators in upstairs rooms cold in bottom half & hotter towards top, have tried normal routine of bleeding radiators but no air is expelled only water.

Replacing Hot Water Radiators with Hot Water Baseboards [ 2 Answers ]

I have a hot water heating system with radiators, and I want to replace the radiators in the upstairs bathroom and bedrooms (2) with hot water baseboards. Can radiators and baseboards be mixed and if so, how do I determine the size of the baseboards?

Hot water entering cold tank [ 11 Answers ]

The cold tank was overflowing. I changed the diaphragm valve, but the tank still overflowed. I then noticed that water was entering the cold water tank from the hot tank feed! The water in the cold tank was tepid and not cold! Time to call in the plumber! The plumber noticed that even when...

View more questions Search