Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dschmidt918 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2011, 05:49 PM
    Loss of engine power and engine backfires on riding lawn mower
    I have a craftsman riding lawn mower and the engine runs rough - cutting in and out. The engine also backfires while driving. To date I've changed the fuel filter and spark plug. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    machinedespair Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Aug 8, 2011, 07:35 PM

Was there oil on the spark plug? Is the gas good? Is the air filter good?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 8, 2011, 08:10 PM

How old is this tractor? Its possible your carb can be partially clogged and needs to be cleaned or rebuilt. I had a Sears that ran like yours so I cleaned the carb, got worse. Ended up buying a new carb from Sears on the net and it runs great for $150

Aug 9, 2011, 08:57 AM
    It is six years old. The gas was the next item I was going to address. Empty out old has and fill it up with some different gas. I have changes the spark plug and did not notice any oil on the plug. Also clened out the air filter. I had sears perform their annual maint in April where everything was checked out.. Thanks for the ideas
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2011, 04:38 PM

What engine is on this unit ?

Aug 9, 2011, 07:40 PM
    The engine is a 24 HP Briggs & Stratton
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2011, 08:39 PM

Run some sea foam in the fuel sounds like you have a valve sticking.
    Might have the valve clearance check , could be all it is..
    Luck
    tomwilt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
    I know this is an old post. I have checked several different websites and the routine answer is to replace fuel filter, fuel pump or carbureator. I changed the fuel filter. Swapped the fuel pump off another tractor and still had the same problem. Loaded the fuel up with Seaform and it still backfire, ran rough and would eventually shut off. So I parked it for the summer and used my other tractor. I was going to rebuild the carbureator but never got around to it. A friend of mine was telling me that he was going to take his tractor to Briggs and Stratton Dealer to have it worked on and they told him to try Engine Medic - Carbureator Rescue first and it worked great. I did the same, ordered Carbureator Rescue off net for $7.50 ($15.00 in store). Put it in my gas tank, started tractor and let it run for awhile, shut if off and let it set over night. Next day started it up and mowed 1/2 acre of grass without a hiccup.

On the bottle it says for engines that will not start. You just need to get the treated fuel into the carbureator so it can do its work and let it set.

Carbureator Rescue is is amazing. I thought Seafoam was suppose to be good stuff, but it didn't do a thing for my tractor.

Give it a try first, it is cheap and saves hours trying to diagnosis the problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears Craftsman lawn mower, honda engine, engine starts then shuts off [ 1 Answers ]

Mower starts on first pull then dies when choke returns to normal. Mower has only been used twice

Craftsman 17 hp riding mower replaced the solenoid & still no power to engine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a craftsman 17.5 horse riding mower, it was working and I parked it for about a week and now it won't start, the battery if fine.. I replaced the solenoid because there was no power going to the starter. Same preblem with the new one, if I jump the solenoid it will turn over.

Seized Engine on Riding Lawn Mower [ 4 Answers ]

I have a murray riding mower (briggs and stratton engine) that will not start. I had it checked by two repair men and was told the engine is seized. How would I go about repairing/replacing the engine? I have checked the net and see it is possible to buy the enging, but was wondering is this...

I have a cv18 yard king, kohler engine riding lawn mower that will run w/choked. [ 1 Answers ]

I have cleaned it, changed oil, oil filter, air and gas filter, cleaned the carburator with carb. Choke and still have no luck it will only run and cut with choke pulled out. What should I do?:(

Rear Engine Riding Lawn Mower [ 1 Answers ]

What is the smallest rear engine riding lawn mower offered today? I've seen the Snapper 11 H.P. and he Sears 11 H.P. Is there a smaller engine offered?

View more questions Search