Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vpiggy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 09:46 PM
    Tax
    My Mother-in-Law passed away in may. She owned a home and in her will she left it to her two children. At the time of her death it was recorded in her name. When we were going through her papers we found a deed she had made in 1985 putting the house in the kids names, it was notarized but not recorded. The local county atty. Told us to record it. We the auctioned the house in July. How do we report these proceeds from the sale of the house? Do we have to report them at all? Help we are very confused.
    cbmb Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Feb 1, 2007, 09:51 AM
    The sale of the house is reported on schedule D in your Federal tax return. The house received a step up in basis at her death. (Cost basis became the fair market value on the date of her death). Therefore, there would be little or no gain. If there is a loss, it is non deductible and it should be shown as a break even.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 11:56 AM
    CBMB is wrong!

You do NOT report the sale of the home on YOUR tax return because, at the time of the sale, the house did not BELONG to you; it belonged to the estate.

The sale is reported on the FIDUCIARY return (Form 1041) filed by the estate's executor. It is likely to show little or no capital gain because of the stepped-up basis noted in CBMB's posting, but it must be reported, because the sale was reported to the IRS on Form 1099-S and they WILL want an accounting for the sale proceeds.

Feb 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
    My interpretation of the facts was that the house was recorded in the beneficiary's name prior to the sale; therefore, the kids sold the house and it goes on their tax return on Schedule D. The estate did not own it at the time of sale.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 1, 2007, 08:01 PM
    If that is the case, how can they have stepped up basis?

BTW, I was a bit strong in my first sentence of previous post! Sorry!

Feb 1, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Although the IRS could argue otherwise, I would argue that the actual "transfer date" was after death and before the sale, when the recording took place.

In that case, they definitely want to take the position that the house was inherited not gifted. If inherited the gain from the step up in basis is reflected on the estate return. However, there is an estate tax exclusion of 2 million. If the estate was under 2 million, no tax is due and no return has to be filed. Inheritances get a step up in basis and the date of death is the acquisition date (new holding period begins).

Again, the argument would have to be that the transfer date (recording) occurred after death and before the sale... and that it was an "inheritance", not a gift.

Thanks for the apology... it was a little rough but I didn't take offense since I've spoken to you before. :o
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Okay, then! PAX!

Feb 2, 2007, 07:51 PM
    Right back atcha ATE - PAX!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paycheck without Tax Withholding, how can I pay the tax? (Chinese F1 student on CPT) [ 8 Answers ]

I am currently doing an intern holding F-1 visa and on CPT in New York state. My employer didn’t withhold any tax from my paycheck. She said I am treated as an independent contractor. My income in the CPT period will be $4800, according to 1040-ES (NR), the tax will be $4800*10%=480, which is...

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Can I get Tax benefits if my husband show as her spouse was on H4 during tax exemptio [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My details: Name- deepti Status- married Visa- h4 My husband went to US from India on January 1 2007. I have also joined him. I am eager to know , will we able to get tax exemtions if he mention me as dependent . Our stay in US is till August 2007. Can we get some tax benefits.

Tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 3 Answers ]

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit

F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005. I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form). In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if 1. I...

View more questions Search