Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    btucker Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Sliding Barn Doors
    I am going to build a double door for a barn that slides on channel. The will each be 6' wide and 12' tall. Any thing I need to know?
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Feb 3, 2007, 05:48 AM
    If the doors are being made with ordinary construction grade 2 X lumber , then the styles & rails ( which are the vertical & horizontal pieces respectively) may be susceptible to warping/twisting over the long height and width.
    This is easy to combat if you take , say a two by eight for the rails and styles and rip them into several equal pieces . Then swapping alternate pieces end to end , so that the grain goes in a different direction with each piece ( the way a butcher block table looks on its end grain). Waterproof glue every touching side together , clamp overnight. Ensuring everything is laying flat and straight. It helps to clamp the laminated frame pieces to a straight table in addition to clamping the overall assembly.
    Once the styles and rails are joined , you can fill in the door with plywood or tongue and groove 1 X material .
    Belt sand smooth.
    This will keep the doors nice and straight over their lifetime.
    btucker Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Thanks for the advice, but you lost me at end to end. Do you mean that one swaps the ends. I was going to use one buys for the styles to lighten the doors and make them not as wide. Is this wise or will this increase the chance of warping?
    Nwptsailor Posts: 56, Reputation: 4

Feb 3, 2007, 06:23 AM
    If you take any piece of wood and rip it several times to get equal pieces, you rearrange every piece of the new assembly so that the grain ( when viewed end on ) goes in a opposite or different direction as the adjoining piece.
    Flip alternate pieces end to end and rotate each piece as necessary .
    Look at a butcher block table end grain , that will give you the idea.

I'd say one byes will not be robust enough . A door that big in 1 X will not last long
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Feb 3, 2007, 07:23 AM
    Personally I am lazy --I pitch the tracks up at the ends , install counter weights , and have a door that's almost on the ground closed and clears the ground as being opened. Really easy to open to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pole Barn Foundation [ 4 Answers ]

I have had a 40' x 60' pole parn with 6"x6" treadted poles. I am planning on pouring a concrete slab. I live in South Alabama where freezing is short lived and rarely below 26 if then. People do not usually use rock under the slab here. I was wondering how much footing if any I need between the...

Old sliding glass doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I have a four panel sliding glass door from the 60’s The outside panels are fixed with the middle panels sliding. The doors are single glass. The frame channels are wide. Is there a way to replace the single glass with a thermal pane glass? Is this cost effective. I do...

Electric in new pole barn? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, We have just built a new pole barn and would like to add electric in the pole barn. We will be upgrading our current 200 amp service to a 320 amp service and would like to put a 100 amp breaker box in the pole barn. The meter base is 140' from the new pole barn. Can we bury URD wire,...

Shed/Barn wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a decent sized shed out about 150ft from the house, I plan on running the cable underground in conduit. But I am unsure of what style/size cable I need to use for a 50A circuit 220/240V. I'm assuming that I probably need to use service entrance cable and can't use 6G stranded. I've tried...

Barn board [ 1 Answers ]

I have ugly dark barn board on the lower half of my basement walls in my rec room. Can you paint these and if so do you have to have special paint for this. I'm not sure paint would even cover all the crevices and nooks in the wood. Any ideas?

View more questions Search