Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pangu36501 Posts: 9, Reputation: 0

Jul 31, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Gaits of a horse?
    Can anyone list the gaits of a horse in english and western riding? Ex: Walk, trot, canter, gallop, jog etc...
    I think I know them all but I want to make sure.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2011, 09:54 AM

Hoirses don't jog and the gaits are the same - English OR Western style:

"WALK:
    The walk is a four-beat lateral gait. Each beat is distinct and can be easily heard. The walk is natural, and it is the slowest of the gaits.

TROT:
    The trot is a two-beat diagonal gait. The right hind and left front move together, and the left hind and right front move together.

CANTER/LOPE:
    Lope is another term for this gait, but it usually refers to the slow, western-pleasure style of cantering. While cantering, the horse is either on the left or right lead. The horse's left front leg is hitting the ground in front of the right, so the horse is on the left lead. A horse on the right lead would have its right leg hitting the ground in front of, not before, the left leg. When turning in a circle to the right, the horse should be on the right lead, and when turning to the left, should be on the left lead. So the horse should always be leading with it's inside leg.
    A flying lead change is when the horse is cantered in a figure 8, and changes leads in mid stride when it reaches the middle of the 8, where it changes directions.
    Most horses will canter on the correct lead naturally, and a few need to be trained to. A horse that is leading with its outside leg is said to be on the 'wrong lead', or moving with a 'false lead'. In some high-level competitions, horses may be required to do a "counter canter", that is, cantering on the wrong lead.

GALLOP - Or run. When the horse is fully extending itself in a run, there is a moment when all four feet are off the ground. It is usually a 4-beat gait, varying in speeds. Gallop speed is about 30 miles per hour. Here is the sequence of the gallop: 1. left hind; 2. right hind; 3. left fore; 4. right fore, followed by a moment when all four hooves are in the air."

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/info/gaits.html
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 10:00 AM

Horse gaits are predicted on the horse only, not western or english. Here is website that explains this for you quite easily

Horses and horse training, care, tack, and supply info. › Horse Riding. Enter 'horse gaits' in the search section.

The exception is, of course, the Tennessee Walker that has gait ll its own. I could go into this in detail, but basically the website will refresh your memory.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 31, 2011, 10:05 AM

It's how the rider sits and what signals he gives to the horse that causes the horse to change gaits.
    megs2245 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 05:19 AM
    ENGLISH
    Walk, trot, canter, gallop
    WESTERN
    Walk, jog, lope, run

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Movie about a horse who jump into water. Girl horse jumper goes lind but still jumps [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie where a young girl learns to jump a horse from up high into a tank of water. The girl ends up losing her sight and can't jump any more. But determined she learns to jump again with the help of a friend. What is the name of this movie?

My horse [ 3 Answers ]

I like to ride my horse that I got for easter he like it when I hug him and rubs his head on me does he like or is he trying to scrach?:confused:

A horse [ 5 Answers ]

My girl friend got a pet horse yeah?? Since she's had it I've only been able 2 see her 4 days a week for a couple of hours.. but it seems when she's round it she don't want to know me that much.. I under stand that she's busy. But if I say want to out or something shell say no I want to spend time...

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

View more questions Search