Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nessa1 Posts: 3, Reputation: -2

Jan 31, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Who filed my son?!
    Someone illegally filed my oldest son on their tax return. I have no idea who it could be. How can I find out?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2007, 12:15 PM
    I am by no means an expert but I am assuming you received a letter from the govt stating that you cannot claim him because he was claimed by someone else? Do you have an ex, or parent who might have done this? Is this something completely out of the blue?

If you have a letter from the govt, I would suggest copying it. Then take a copy of your sons birth certificate and social security card and attach them. Write a cover letter to the person who sent you the letter in the first place, stating that you do not know how anyone could claim you son on their return. Suggest there is another child with the same name and social security number might have been confused and reference your attachments. Ask them to do an investigation because their letter has you worried that someone stold your sons identity. Then, send the letter via certified mail. Keep the receipts with all the paperwork and wait for a response. If you do not receive a response within 45 days, I would suggest calling the person on the letter and asking them to please help you clear up this matter.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filed 1040 instead 1040NR [ 19 Answers ]

Hi I filed 1040 through turbotax instead 1040NREZ/1040NR. Is it unlawful to file 1040 ? Someone suggest me what to do. Thanks dealsboy

Judgment filed against me [ 1 Answers ]

I received a letter about a judgment filed against me, did not know who any of these people were so it was a complete surprise... I called the county clerk to check on it and it was not filed BUT there was a different judgment filed against me--in 2004. I knew nothing about this and do not know...

Forms to be filed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: I entered the US in July 2001. I was ion F-1 since till dec 2004 and then on OPT. My employer filed H1B and it was approved in oct 2005.I got it stamped in INDIA in feb 2006. DO I use the 1040 NR or 1040NR-EZ or 1040? As this is my first year of H1B? PLease let me know Thanks in advance...

Forms to be filed-please help [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I entered the US in July of 2001. Was on F-1 until graduation in dec 2004. After on OPT and was approved H-1B, got it stamped in INDIA in FEB 2006. What forms do I need to use. IS it the 1040NR-EZ since this is my first year on H1B. Please do let me know Thanks Vineet

Filed wrong form [ 9 Answers ]

I'm a j1 student doing hospitality training right now. I filed 1040ez instead of 1040nr. I didn't know about that at all. What should I do? I filed tax return year in 2002 as well. But I don't know if I did right or wrong Because that time I received $3. my friend filed it for me. I was on F-1...

View more questions Search