Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    geniegee2003 Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Jul 21, 2011, 03:45 PM
    Bleeding after pregnancy?
    Hi, I gave birth 6 weeks ago he weighed 8 lb 15 ozs, I was induced and ended up having a forceps delivery with an episiotomy.

I know you are supposed to have some bleeding for a few weeks after the birth, I bled for 5 weeks after the birth and then the bleeding stopped completely. So me and my partner have started to have sex again which was unprotected (sorry for the too much information). We may be silly for having unprotected sex but are quite happy for me to fall pregnant again as we'd love to have another baby similar age to my son.

I've just started bleeding again a week after we had unprotected sex, it only lasted 2 days but was quite heavy with a lot of large clots in it but with no cramping. Before I fell pregnant I would have extremely painful period cramps for several days. Just wondered whether this was my first period after giving birth or was something else completely miscarriage/period/post birth bleeding?

Feedback would be really appreciated Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 03:47 PM

How soon did the Doctor say you could have sex without risk of injury or infection?

Jul 21, 2011, 04:07 PM
    The midwives at the hospital said that I was OK to have sex when I felt comfortable and didn't have any pain from my stitches, I stopped having any pain after 3 weeks
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 04:09 PM

I'd call the Doctor and ask - I've always thought it was 6 weeks and then you have to be careful of infection.

There are several experts here - hopefully one will come along.

What did you name him?

Jul 21, 2011, 04:10 PM
    We called him Maxwell
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by geniegee2003 View Post
    We called him Maxwell

I LOVE that name - I really do. You don't hear it a lot. Great choice.

Jul 21, 2011, 04:47 PM
    Thanks, we didn't want a name that was too popular. I loved the name Jack but it's such a popular name that my son would probably be in a class at school with 3 other Jack's if I had given him that name!
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 06:10 PM

And isn't that the truth. My stepdaughter named her son Jack (last Summer). I said (innocently), "Do you mean John and we'll call him Jack?" and she said, "No, I mean Jack."

Okay.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 21, 2011, 11:38 PM

Six weeks is the appropriate time to begin sexual intercourse after a vaginal delivery. It takes approximately this long for the cervix to return to the pre-delivery state. Any time before that and you risk infection to the uterus and/or cervix as well as possible damage to the cervix.

I understand that you want to have your children close together, and I think that's a GREAT idea... However, your body needs time to heal so that your hormone levels return to pre-pregnant levels.

Babies take a lot out of our systems, having babies too close together puts you and your baby at risk for numerious health issues during and after the pregnancy.

Please give your body some time to recover so that you can give your second baby the healthy pregnancy you gave your first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding after pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

How long do you normally bleed after pregnancy? I gave birth to my daughter on Feb. 23rd and am still bleeding. It was a vaginal birth and I am breastfeeding but it just seems like a long time ago to still be bleeding this much. Is this normal?

Bleeding during pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have 7 weeks pregnant and yestarday night I when to emmergency hospital because I was bleeding and having some abdominal pain. They did an ultra sound and they said my baby is o.k. They told me that I could have a miscarriage but everything was fine now. But doday Im still having some...

Bleeding in pregnancy [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I start to bleeding thuesday and it is not a lot but is like water very red and having now pain is this OK as I am 11 weeks

Bleeding during pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

I have been bleeding for about 4 days now. I am 5-6 weeks along. No severe cramping just uncomfortable. I had a vaginal ultrasound done and my OB said he could not see the baby but could see the yolk sac and that I had not had a miscarriage and to come back in a week because they usually hide at...

Bleeding during pregnancy [ 10 Answers ]

I'm 18 years old I am bleeding but may br pegnant but am scared to take a test I am wondering if I am pregnant as I have been being sick in the mornings and sometimes the evenings and have not been able to keep any solid food down but have managed to do it with liquids except dairy like milk but...

View more questions Search