Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonkhan209 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
    Analysis of sales mix strategies
    Ortiz Company is able to produce two products, G and B, with the same machine in its factory. The following information is available.

Product G Product B
    Selling price per unit $ 220 $ 220
    Variable costs per unit 60 70

Contribution margin per unit $ 160 $ 150
    Machine hours to produce 1 unit 0.4hours 4.0 hours

Maximum unit sales per month 840 units 200 units

The company presently operates the machine for a single eight-hour shift for 22 working days each month. Management is thinking about operating the machine for two shifts, which will increase its productivity by another eight hours per day for 22 days per month. This change would require $6,400 additional fixed costs per month.
    How many units of Product G and Product B should the company produce if it continues to operate with only one shift?
    How much total contribution margin does this mix produce each month?
    If the company adds another shift, how many units of Product G and Product B should it produce?
    I am confused with these question,as I alreaady calculated the Contribution margin per machine hour, but can't figure out about units of Product G and B, any idea or any guess, please help.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2011, 08:40 PM

You already know which of the products is more profitable so you know which you want to produce more of, but you are limited to the estimated maximum sales per month. Look at how much time (machine hours) it takes to produce that product given the maximum units you can sell at the machine hours for that product. Any difference remaining in machine hours could be applied to producing the other product. The increase in total contribution will tell you whether it is worth the additional fixed costs. Look at how many machine hours are available with the two different scenarios for shift work.

Jul 19, 2011, 09:44 PM
    Comment on Just Looking's post
    I found that the contribution margin per hour machine is 400 for product G and for product B it is 37.5, but what is the next step I should take to exactly find how many units it can produce. Will be very thankful for your help.
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2011, 10:03 PM

Not sure why your contribution margins are changing from your original question, but you were given the maximum number of units the company estimated it could sell per month. They won't want to produce more than that number. You also know the machine hours required per unit. If you were to produce the maximum number of the product with the higher contribution margin, how many machine hours would it take? How many machine hours do you have available with one shift? How many with two shifts?

PS - It's late here and I have to be to work early tomorrow. I'll check in on this in the morning.

Jul 20, 2011, 10:11 AM
    Thanks for your help,I was able to find out how many units of product G can be produced,but can't find the units for Product B if it adds another shift. Plus how I calculate the extra shift cost.
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2011, 01:03 PM

If you know how many hours it takes to produce product G and you know how many totals hours you have (days x hours per shift), the balance of hours is available to product B. You also know how many hours it takes to produce product B so you can figure out the number of units you can make.

You don't have to figure out the cost of the extra shift. You can figure out how much margin will be contributed. If you compare that to the additional fixed costs you will know if it is worthwhile.

Jul 20, 2011, 01:59 PM
    Thanks for your help, Yes,now I am able to figureout the units of product B. I think I will need to calculate the extra cost to find out the total contribution of this mix. I came up with 840 units of Product G and 4 for Product B. How much total contribution margin would this mix produce each month?

Jul 20, 2011, 02:02 PM
    Can you please help me to figure out the fixed cost for this question.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/accounting/scatter-diagram-cost-behavior-estimation-588275-new.html
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2011, 03:48 PM

Your answer of 4 is for 2 shifts. You can figure the contribution margin by multiplying the units of each product by the contribution margin stated.

Did you figure out how much product can be made if there is only 1 shift? The question asks for each solution - i.e. 1 shift and 2 shifts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to mix my monobenzone - tube cream , do I have to mix them with oil? [ 2 Answers ]

How to mix my Monobenzone cream? I bought 20#monobenzone from fair and glow , it is a tube like , I just wonder do I have to mix it before I rub it to the skin , and would it be more effective if I don't mix it , just rub the cream directly to my skin

Comparative Analysis of Marketing Strategies used by McDonalds in USA and India? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if my research topic is OK to write about and its not too simple or broad: Comparative Analysis of Marketing Strategies and Mix used by McDonalds in USA and India"

Stop Lab/Bulldog mix pup from biting terrior mix. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old black lab/american bulldog mix and a 2 year old pug/terrier mix. My Lab/Bulldog mix is very playful and will sometimes will grab onto my terrier mix cheeks trying to get her to play. I noticed yesterday that he is starting to scratch her cheeks and now they're all red and...

Sales mix [ 2 Answers ]

family furniture co. consists of two divisions, bedroom division and dining room division. The results of operations for the most recent quarter are: Bedroom division Dining room div. Total Sales ...

View more questions Search