Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Davidmaryb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2011, 12:25 AM
    Blue Specks in domestic Hot water
    I have a Vaillant aquaplus combination boiler. When I run at full hot water volume I consistently get blue specks in the hot water. The heat exchanger has been changed once to no effect. Any ideas on what to do next
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 07:38 AM

Hi David & Mary B.

Do you have any whole house or reverse osmosis filters in place? How about a water softener in the home?

Also, tell us about the heat exchanger... does the hot water go into a storage tank or does it come straight off the combi. Boiler?

Is there hydronic antifreeze in the heat system... keep pipes from freezing?

Finally, is this happening at all hot water faucets in the house or just at one or two faucets?

Let me know what you can, OK?

Mark
    Davidmaryb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Hi Mark
    I have no water softener or osmotic equipment. The water comes straight out of the combi boiler. The blue bits only tend to show up in the bath as this is when max flow occurs. Would be pleased to hear of any clues you might have.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 27, 2011, 10:33 AM

Hi David...

More questions, OK?

Do you find blue specks at the other faucets valves or is this strictly happening at the tub?

For example, have you checked the hot water hose going to the washing machine? Here, you will usually find a small plastic filter at the inlet to the hot and cold hose connections of the washing machine valve... see if there are blue specks here, OK?

If no blue specks at the washing machine hot water filter then I begin to suspect that the issue may be at the tub/shower valve itself... maybe?

Let me know more, OK?

Mark
    AnswerMan5000 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Apr 5, 2013, 09:21 AM
    Hi did you already clean the filter?

Here is a good article I found for cleaning the hot tub water filter.

How to clean hot tub water filter
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 10:20 AM
    Do you have PVC pipes ?

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are there floating white specks in my hot water? [ 12 Answers ]

I have noticed white specks floating my my bathtub the specks look like mineral deposits but then I pick one of them up and they are not dissolvable, they do break up but don't disappear. Some are huge and some are tiny, by huge I mean about the size of small bug like a lady bug. The others are...

Steam Boiler / Domestic Hot Water [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a dumb question. With a steam boiler how do you get domestic hot water off them. Is there a typical way that people got domestic hot water from an old steam boiler. Thank You

Domestic hot and cold water system [ 1 Answers ]

How do I do a soundness check on hot and cold water system

Domestic hot water heating [ 1 Answers ]

Our domestic hot water is heated off our our gas fired boiler that also heats the house through in floor radiant heat. Is this the most efficient way to heat domestic hot water? If not would I be better off putting in a standalone gas hot water heater or even a tankless hot water heater?

Small capsule pill with white/blue little specks inside [ 10 Answers ]

I found a pill that has white and blue little specks inside of it. I would like to know what kind of pill it is, and it's information. Thanks, Derek

View more questions Search