Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ciara3658 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2011, 09:58 PM
    Can I be in legal trouble for abandonment of a disabled person if I am POA?
    All Questions in Elder Law >> Disabled abandonment
    Disabled abandonment

I am a 53 y.o. disabled woman with many health issues. My boyfriend had a massive stroke 2 months ago. He was in hospital and then a rehab center for a month. I then brought him home to try to care for him by myself which is impossible. He is paralyzed on his left side completely. He needs total care 24/7. He is unable to stand walk or anything. He can feed himself but drops food a lot. He has a lot of mental issues including memory loss and confusion. He is in the {Center name removed} Ga although we live in Alabama. They are trying to force me to bring him home even though it takes 2 to 3 BIG men there to lift him and transfer him etc. I am disabled! I am only 5' 2 and there is no way I can lift a 6 ft 249 lb man! He had to be lowered to the floor twice when he was home and had to have 911 called to come help get him up. Now they are threatening me if I do not bring him home they will file ABANDONMENT charges. How have I abandoned him? I have been there at every hosp he has been in day and night. I am a student and school starts back in a few weeks. I CAN NOT be here 24/7. I am disabled and unable physically to care for him. We are waiting for SSI determination which may take a couple more months. Can they put me in jail for abandonment? His family has abandoned him, not me! They have done nothing to help through all this! NOTHING! We are not married! I am not capable to do what he needs. He needs round the clock care! HELP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 18, 2011, 03:25 AM

You can relinquish a POA if you want. But unless you signed something that assumes responsibility for him I don't think they can get you for abandonment. You would appear to have no legal responsibility for him.

Since you are a student, does your school have a law school? If so, check to see if they have a clinic. Many do. I think you need more legal advice then we can give you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dad is on life support, I can't find his POA, how can I handle his legal/finances? [ 3 Answers ]

My dad signed a power of attorney appointing me to help him should he become medically unable to handle his affairs. He never gave it to me saying that he would when I needed to have it. Last week he was put on life support and being treated because he was having trouble breathing due to...

Disabled Child in Placement and Parent Threatened with Abandonment by CPS [ 8 Answers ]

We are in WA state and my son is in a state institution -- he is severely autistic and 13 and was placed there voluntarily by us because he is violent in the home and was kicked out of schoo for violence. DSHS is telling me that I must come pick him up or they will charge me with "abandonment". ...

Eviction of disabled person [ 1 Answers ]

In New Mexico can you give 30 day written notice to vacate to disabled person just like anyone else? Is there any special provisions etc. Thanks Bob

View more questions Search