Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 08:29 PM
    Mothers Wedding Ring
    Well my mother past on things to me from her and my father. They were divorced when I was three. Guess my mother kept things for me to hold on to, or to remember or to have.

Anyway, Here I am thinking should I keep the ring or get rid of it. Kind of a dilema. Would like some input on what you would do. Not sure where to put this question so I put it here.

Thank you in advance...
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 08:35 PM

I really think you should keep the ring.

I'm a sentimental fool though.

May I ask why you are in a dilema?
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 09:40 PM

My mother gave it too me. They are divorced. I am not really close to my father. What would my mother think of me getting rid of the ring. Although she obviously does not want it anymore being remarried.

Hmmm.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 09:53 PM

Maybe save the ring for your kids to inherit? Or cash it in and add the money to other monies in a trust/savings account for them?
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 10:11 PM

If it were me, I would keep it, however, I'm the girl who has kept notes from passing period in the 6th grade. Again, I'm a sentimental fool.

Or you can do what WG said, and cash it in.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2011, 01:22 PM

Perhaps she just wanted you to know that they were once in love, and that your life started from that point.

I would just ask her if she had in mind for you to do with the rings. If she wants you to keep them, put them away somewhere. If she doesn't care and you don't want them, sell them and invest in something special.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 02:33 PM

Apparently she wanted you to have it thinking it would have sentimental value to you. Otherwise she could have sold it and given the money to you or anyone else for that matter. Now its in your hands and you have to decide if it has enough sentimental value to keep and pass on or you can head for the Cash for Gold store.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 05:26 PM

Joe, obviously this decision isn't easy, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for advice, you'd know what to do.

I have to ask. How do you feel about the rings? When you look at them do you remember the divorce, the bad times, or do you see them as a symbol of the love that used to be between your parents?

If these rings don't bring you joy, if they're not something you want to keep in the family and pass down, then cash them in.

This is a heart decision, and only your heart can tell you what to do. :)
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2011, 10:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Joe, obviously this decision isn't easy, otherwise you wouldn't be asking for advice, you'd know what to do.

I have to ask. How do you feel about the rings? When you look at them do you remember the divorce, the bad times, or do you see them as a symbol of the love that used to be between your parents?

If these rings don't bring you joy, if they're not something you want to keep in the family and pass down, then cash them in.

This is a heart decision, and only your heart can tell you what to do. :)
    I think obviously the rings meant more to my mom then anything. Guessing she figured passing them down to me, or keeping things for me would be a nice way for me to some how know my father and them as a couple. The thing is.

I am thinking she would be more upset with the idea of me getting rid of something that meant something to her, that she though I would think would be special. Thing is I would not get anybody in my family to wear it or pass it down or etc... All it is doing is sitting in a box to be looked at once a year and what else am I going to do with it. Although there are other things I might deem more valuable to keep? Then the rings.

So no I do not think I will pass it down and I do not think that it does bring joy, or happiness.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2011, 11:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    I am thinking she would be more upset with the idea of me getting rid of something that meant something to her, that she though I would think would be special.
    Get them reworked or the gems (if any) reset into a necklace or a man's ring or tie bar or even into a sculpture of some sort, something other than wedding rings. A jeweler will have good ideas.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 19, 2011, 10:41 AM

Joe, would she know that you got rid of them? Does she ever ask to see them when she's over, or does she talk about them?

The only concern I would have is causing your mother pain. But, if she really has no interest in them now that they're yours, get rid of them. I wouldn't tell her about it though, not unless you absolutely have to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost wedding ring [ 5 Answers ]

My niece and her husband are separated, she and her 5 year old son are currently living with her grandmother in Memphis, Tennessee. She kept her wedding ring in a ring box in her underware drawer in the dresser. Her son said he had the ring out of the drawer, but put it back in the box and back...

Wedding ring got flushed. [ 1 Answers ]

Live in apartment building and curious if there is some sort of trap or something in the septic?? If I can try & get ring back or is it gone forever??

Flushed wedding ring. [ 1 Answers ]

Flushed wedding ring in an apartment building. Any clue if sceptic in these buildings has a trap or something? Miserable!!

Lost wedding ring [ 3 Answers ]

I left my wedding ring on a shelf in the bedroom. I forgot about it and put my children in my bedroom to watch a movie while I cleaned the living room carpet. When I remembered the ring, it was too late and my children are too young to tell me where my ring is at. Does anyone have a clue as how...

Wedding Ring Question [ 6 Answers ]

My g/f and I are curious about the wedding ring thing. She doesn't want an engagement ring but I would like to get her one anyway. Also if anyone knows where I can find a good white gold engagement ring with diamonds inset id love your help. With the redding rings themselves. Who pays for them...

View more questions Search