Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Jul 14, 2011, 04:17 AM
    Dime Bar Cake
    I have a recipe for Dime Bars, which says to use 'light syrup', however I now live in an area where I can't buy this. I've searched on Google for a recipe but admit I'm confused, I'm English and when I was small we used to have Golden Syrup on bread, which was quite high in calories. I'm assuming the 'light' means low calories... maybe I'm mistaken and it means light coloured. The only recipes I could find were for corn syrup, can anyone help me out here, is light syrup just sugar and water? If so, I need 2 tablespoons for the recipe, can anyone tell me what ratio of sugar and water needed. I eventually want to make a Dime Bar Cake, so would be grateful for any advise please... thanks :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 04:46 AM

More than likely (especially if this is an older recipe), it is asking you to use light corn syrup. A famous brand is Karo in the US (I can't speak for other places) and will sometimes be used as the name of the ingredient. Light in this case is color and not calories.

A substitute for light corn syrup is a thicker version of a simple syrup (Simple Syrup Recipe - Allrecipes.com): Substitute for Corn Syrup | Taste of Home Recipes

Substitute for Corn Syrup

For each cup of light corn syrup in a recipe, substitute 1 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup water. For each cup of dark corn syrup, substitute 1 cup of packed brown sugar and 1/4 cup water.
    Neelie Posts: 512, Reputation: 39

Jul 14, 2011, 06:16 AM
    Comment on Cat1864's post
    Thank you very much, I'll try that recipe for corn syrup you suggested, I'm sure it'll be fine, I'm living in quite a small village in Central Europe and there's a lot of stuff I can't get, since coming here I've realised that you can nearly always find a substitute or a recipe on the internet :)
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 14, 2011, 06:29 AM

You're welcome. I hope it works out well for you. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Add Equipment ground bar or remove cross-bar b/w neutrals? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a GE main breaker load center box in a separate building. It did not come w/ an equipment ground bar. Is it OK to: 1. Remove the cross bar and ground left side neutral to box w/ supplied screw. 2. Attach supplied lug to left side bar and 1/0 ground from SER cable, then all ground...

1943 Mercury Dime and 1937 Mercury Dime [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1943 Mercury Dime. All writing and images are very clear on the coin. The only thing I can't make out is if there is a MINT mark on it. There is a mark between the Y of liberty and the DATE. But, I can't make it out. (it almost looks like a W) Very little tarnish or grime on it. ...

My start bar ( task bar ) is in the wrong place [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I was playing on my PC and my start bar or task bar is now up the right hand side of my screen, I don't know how I did it is there away to put it back to the bottom left (original place ) please help its annoying:mad: Thanks in advance Mike:)

Marble or Granite for a wine bar w/ stainless bar sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Would Marble be an appropriate choice for a bar top that will have a small stainless steel undermount bar sink? I have been quoted the same price for marble or granite. Are these counter tops usually the same price?

View more questions Search