Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmorebrezzy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
    1099 Tax
    This will be my 1st year filing a 1099MISC. I have always in the past filed a W-2 with no problem. This year is different. My question is will I receive a refund from a 1099? I have two depens. :eek:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Whether you receive a refund or not depends on whether you had taxes withheld or paid estimated taxes.

A 1099 is just a statement of income from sources other than a regular salary. When you prepare your return you total up all your sources of income. You then apply deductions, credits, etc. to determine a net taxable income. From there you calculate your tax liability. That number is then applied towards any prepaid or withheld amounts. If your liability is less than you paid you get a refund. If its MORE, you have to pay.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2007, 07:54 PM
    Well stated, Scott!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 tax form [ 3 Answers ]

Hey I have my 1099 tax form with the nonemployee compensation at $1,821 I'm new at this whole tax thing. Does anyone know what I do from here?

1099 tax ID number [ 1 Answers ]

I can't think of the form but there is a form that businesses use to have independent contractors and business that do work with to to fill out. It gives their legal name, contact person, full legal mailing address and either a tax ID number or a social security number Sorry I can't think of the...

1099 without tax id [ 1 Answers ]

I am still preparing the 1099 forms. One contractor fails to provide us his tax id. IRS 1099 instructions indicate that there may be penalty for not providing the tax id. Shoud I still file the 1099 for him without the tax ID? Or it is better off not to file at all.

1099 Tax Questions... [ 1 Answers ]

I have absolutely no idea what to do when tax time comes around next year. I just started a new job with an at home Receptionist/Telemarketing position that is an independent contractor type position. I need to know what documents, receipts, and forms that I need to keep/get for next years tax...

1099 Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am working as a software engineer on W2 base. Also, I am doing a second job that is 1099 Misc basis. Last year on 1099, I paid a huge tax rate like 40%. So my question is how can I reduce the tax rate on second job. My friends advaced me to start a new company. Is it necessary to start a...

View more questions Search