Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seannaes12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Interior Door Framing - Basement
    I've framed around the exterior walls of my basement. I will be framing a partition wall in a few weeks which will include framing for interior doors. My plan is to buy pre-hung doors, I have seen they only come in one standard height - which would require a framing height of 82 1/2". My problem is my basement ceiling height is 84". I am not able to frame a proper header for the door.

Can I get a custom pre-hung door will a smaller height? If not, how would you suggest to frame for the opening?
    Duppy Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 10:23 AM
    I've always been told that headers aren't needed when doing after the fact basement doors. The distribution of the downward force of the house has already been taken care of when it was constructed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Framing a door opening with metal studs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am adding a guest bedroom and bath to our finished basement. I purchased 2 1/2 wide studs (as they were less expensive). However I don't know how to fram the door opening with this size stud. Do I need to return the 2 1/2 and exchange or the normal size stud or is there another...

Basement framing question [ 3 Answers ]

I have a rough in for a basement bathroom and have a few questions... 1. If I am going to put a shower enclosure in, should I frame behind it or just have plastic moisture barrier against the concrete with the fiberglass enclosure over that?

Basement door replacement [ 2 Answers ]

I need some advice on wooden doors for basement entryways. My home currently has a wooden door for the basement entrance. It has not held up very well. The door is partially below the grade level (roughly 50-50). My understanding is that this contributes to the door aging, as it is more often...

Cutting foundation for basement door [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foundation wall that is 4' and I'd like to dig down to the floor level and then cut the wall to put in a door (create exit for basement). I will be removing 4' of dirt covering the floor/footings. Can I do this? I'd like to put stairs (concrete) on the outside of the home leading up to...

Wood or Metal framing for my basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement. My question is whether I should use wood or metal for the stud walls. Everything I've read indicates that metal is much easier to work with and, while researching the price of lumber and the metal studs, I discovered that there...

View more questions Search