Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jul 8, 2011, 09:24 AM
    Struts
    My struts are needing replacement one side is grinding because the fluid is leaked out, can I drive it with this condition?

Is it OK to buy strut assemblies from a junk yard if they are still functioning OK? I was thinking of saving some money.

odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 11, 2011, 09:26 PM
    I know it's not what you want to hear but... it's not a good idea to keep driving like this and you're better off spending the money on new struts rather than Junkyard ones. Do it once, do it right. Also, if you're not familiar with the procedure, you're better off paying a shop to do it.

Jul 14, 2011, 08:27 PM
    Comment on odinn7's post
    I agree. New is best. I'm limiting driving as much as possible like you said it is not a good idea to drive it. I've done a couple of dry runs and have put wd-40 on a couple of times. Waiting for the new strut assemblies to be delivered. I went to the junk yard and did some practicing taking them off. I also have a detail list of the procedure which I've been studying and practicing. I think I'm good to go. It had a rating of moderately easy to replace them.

Jul 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
    Comment on odinn7's post
    Got the job done not as bad as I thought and I also have a warranty on the alignment so it won't cost anything.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the update illinois1. Good job
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jul 20, 2011, 02:49 PM
    Nice to hear you took care of it.

Take care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About Shocks, Struts and VC Boots [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that I need shocks, struts and cv boots. I drive a 1993 Nissan Sentra XE. I need to know how much should the work on my car cost me. If the price is too high, which one should I do first? At this time I can hear and feel every bump on the road.

03 Dodge Struts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan SE. I have been told I need to replace the Front Strut Plate/Bearings & the Front Struts themselves. The question I have is; I have gotten a price online from Autozone. If I purchase the whole strut, does the strut plate/bearings come with it? They do have the...

Struts on a mercury [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the struts on a 2001 mercury sable?

2003 Yukon maybe struts? [ 2 Answers ]

When going high speeds and hit a bump the truck has a tendincy to jerk at the wheel what do u think that is?

View more questions Search