Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sweet_moment11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2011, 02:40 AM
    My mom is relationship addict?
    My mom has been married and divorced 3 times; each time with a different man, and each time the relationships ended in a huge mess. She's had so many boyfriends in the past two years that I can't hardly keep track with my fingers anymore.

The vast majority of her boyfriends (the ones that actually bother meeting my sisters and I) only acknowledged me when my mom was around; when left alone, I was lucky if any of them gave me a second glance. My mom is still dating spree, and while I don't feel particularly negelected, it's just kind of unnerving to have a different stranger at the breakfast table every few months. I've talked to my mom about how I feel, but she just says I'm going a "rebellious stage" and that I shouldn't try to tell her how to live her life, when I don't have a stable grasp on mine.

How am I supposed to deal with this? :(
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 05:50 AM

Are these men dangerous? How old are you?

Different faces at the breakfast table could cause her to lose custody.

Where is your father in this scenario?

You are her dependent child - she will probably not want to take advice on her life from you. Is there another adult who can talk to her?

I do understand her concern with you telling her what to do - you are young and apparently have problems in your own life. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dating...lp-571054.html If you are so depressed that you can barely get out of bed in the morning you need to seek professional help. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mental...re-566707.html

Jul 5, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I'm 15, (just about 16) My biological father passed away about 6 years ago. Her boyfriends aren't aggressive or anything (at most, just kind of creepy) they just completely ignore my existence for the most part.

I do have an Aunt that I talk to, and visit alot; but she and my mother are just barely civil with each other. I'd rather not be the reason that she and my mom jump at eachother's throats. :( I love my mom, I really do; so if possible, I don't want her to lose custody (Is that what it's called?) of me and my sisters. (My sisters are younger than me, they need my mom in their lives... )
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 12:04 PM

What about these men is "creepy" - other than they are strangers to you, appearing at the breakfast table, apparently having spent the night.

Have you done anything to get a grip on your depression? It is very possible that you are continuing to mourn your father and that's the reason you are sad and/or depressed.

Jul 5, 2011, 12:36 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    They don't say or do anything. At all. (which I guess is better than them doing something bad I guess, but still... )
    The most I get out of them are "good mornings/Goodbyes" and that's only if my mom is there to stare them down. If she's not in the room, I might as well be invisible to these people.

I've tried doing charity work and stuff like that to help my outlook on life(someone here at AMHD suggested it) and it's been working actually. I still have little fits of feeling achey and gloomy, but as long as I keep myself busy with work or something, I don't really notice.
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2011, 01:12 PM

Good, I'm glad you're feeling better. I was widowed and found that staying busy was the "cure" to feeling "achy and gloomy" as you put it.

I don't think there's much you can do to change your mother at this point - unfortunately. Just keep your eyes open in the event she is abused or someone even is thinking of abusing you or your siblings and hopefully things will be all right. I'd say hopefully she'll meet someone nice, but that may not be what she wants!

And I'm sorry about your Dad -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depressed Angry Horrible Mom of adhd son with drug addict husband! [ 9 Answers ]

My life is past falling apart. Here's the background. My husband was abusive and an addict and gambler when I was pregnant. I left him and became a single mom living at my parents house. Things were OK here, I went back to college to get my degree and worked F/t. I worked really early to get...

Having a relationship with a heroin addict? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years, we have lived togethger 4 years of the 5. I have a son from a previous relationship and I am now pregnant again by him. Anyway about a year and a half ago I found out from family that my boyfriend is on heroin. How could someone else tell me and I...

What is a sex addict and can they really be in a relationship? [ 1 Answers ]

I am interested to know about lives of a sex addict in a relationship with their partner. I have read they have a hard time being with one person and they often are unfaithful and end up losing that person. I have also been told they can not be intimate and continue to have to have sex till they...

Can a sex addict have a real relationship? [ 5 Answers ]

Well I no longer see the guy that I previosly was seeing. I do talk to him and still want to see him, but know he is bad for me. Like I stated he is into group sex,swinging,shemales,men etc, not just me. He is also very secretive -don't know where he lives, birthday, family things, he is a cop and...

Mom is a pill addict [ 6 Answers ]

My mom who is 60 years old is addicted to Ativan/Lorazepam and has been for maybe a few years. She has been through some very serious life changes ei: forced into early retirement where she was making VERY VERY good money to now surviving on next to nothing, been married and divorced multiple...

View more questions Search