Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Multimeter how to use
    This is a 7 function multmeter. To check a car battery you would move the dial
    To the DCV setting at number 20. I think the battery should show 12? Down on the right
    Hand corner there are three plugin outlets(See Attachment) do I put the positive in the first one
    And the negative to the second one of the meter??
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2011, 10:30 AM

You plug the red into the positive, and the black into the negative. Have on a Higher scale than expected to prevent burying the needle if analog or out of range if digital.
    The other plugins may be for current, this is used inline with a circuit, usually? 10 amps max?
    You may read more than 12 volts.
    Try reading the battey voltage before starting engine, take note of voltage, then start car and test voltage again to see a higher voltage and charging.
    Be careful not to measure voltage on the resistance scale.
    When set for resistance, hold probes together and Zero out if available, If not, touch probes together and you will read your leads resistance, subtract from your resistance reading.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Errors in digital multimeter theory [ 2 Answers ]

Errors in digital multimeter theory

Testing breaker amperage with multimeter [ 5 Answers ]

DonF, thanks. Let me ask if I can measure the amperage at the breaker or the GFI outlet with a multimeter. It seems that would tell me if the breaker or the GFI is weak. Thanks

Testing outlet amperage with multimeter [ 2 Answers ]

Can you test the actual amperage of a 120v home outlet with a multimeter? When I plug in an appliance over 10amps in the 15amp outlet, the GFI kicks off. I want to test the outlet to see exactly how many amps are available. Thanks

How Do I Check for Continuity of Heat Element w/Multimeter? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Dryer that works fine, except it stopped heating. (Model # 110.82832100) I see people say, "check for continuity" of the heater element, the thermal fuse, the thermistor, the thermal cut-off, and/or the high limit thermostat.. . so, OK, I Bought the Multimeter, and am just...

Elec. Multimeter [ 2 Answers ]

I have a GBT-11 GB Instruments Multimeter for test outlets. I cannot seem to get it to clear after getting a reading. What am I doing wrong?

View more questions Search