Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpniceguy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Girlfriend needs time to herself away from me.
    For about a year and a half I have been dating the most wonderful girl. Her and I have fallen in love and want to spend our lives together. However, recently, she and I have been tense. We've had several arguments in the past few weeks about absolutely nothing worth arguing over (i.e. I want to talk on the phone and she doesn't.). She can be very disrespectful and hurtful to me in her actions and what she says even if she doesn't try it. I do try and forgive her, but sometimes I get very upset and we argue. I would consider myself a very sensitive guy, my feelings get hurt easily, and I definitely don't want to risk losing her, she's everything to me! Sexually, our relationship has been good until recently. Maybe she has a problem with me being 18 and she being only 16 (yes, it is legal here based on state laws). Also, there is pressure from me going away to college in 6 or 7 months (still don't know where or how far away). She recently has told me that she needs "space" and time away from me. I don't know how to handle it at all. I'm hoping that we will eventually talk, make up and move on. What should I do?
    Nohitter410 Posts: 187, Reputation: 50

Jan 29, 2007, 09:31 PM
    You seem to be very mature for an 18 year old and understanding the problems in a relationship is a first step. From what I can tell you going away to college is a bigger deal than you might think and is starting to cause arguments and other concerns.

Her asking for space is a very tough pill to swallow but you need to just give it to her and make her miss you. I know it would be wrong for me to tell you that she is too young and you need to go out and have fun and college will offer you a completely different life. I am just afraid you won't be able to fully enjoy college if you are holding on to someone back home and someone who is still in high school.

Both of you have a lot to learn in life. I just turned 23 and from 18-23 so much has happened and I would hate to see you not enjoy it.

But to answer your question, you need to give her space and go no contact and maybe even take it a step furthur and cut if off completely or you can give her space let her come back to you and just see how things play out but I have a feeling this is not the first time you two have space.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 10:13 PM
    She recently has told me that she needs "space" and time away from me. I don't know how to handle it at all. I'm hoping that we will eventually talk, make up and move on. What should I do?
    Give her what she ask for and leave her alone and go about your life like she never existed. At 16 she has a lot of growing up to do, so let her.
    lteuscher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 10:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpniceguy
    For about a year and a half I have been dating the most wonderful girl. Her and I have fallen in love and want to spend our lives together. However, recently, she and I have been tense. We've had several arguments in the past few weeks about absolutely nothing worth arguing over (i.e. I want to talk on the phone and she doesn't.). She can be very disrespectful and hurtful to me in her actions and what she says even if she doesn't try it. I do try and forgive her, but sometimes I get very upset and we argue. I would consider myself a very sensitive guy, my feelings get hurt easily, and I definitely don't want to risk losing her, she's everything to me! Sexually, our relationship has been good until recently. Maybe she has a problem with me being 18 and she being only 16 (yes, it is legal here based on state laws). Also, there is pressure from me going away to college in 6 or 7 months (still don't know where or how far away). She recently has told me that she needs "space" and time away from me. I don't know how to handle it at all. I'm hoping that we will eventually talk, make up and move on. What should I do??
    Give her space. If you want a shot at keeping this romance going, I'd do as she asks. The best way to end a relationship is to smother it. Sometimes time apart and a bit of perspective can change everything. If you don't give her some time to think things through and you act too needy she will probably move on.
    ForeverZero Posts: 312, Reputation: 82

Jan 30, 2007, 10:49 AM
    I smell another guy. The pattern usually goes this way, the relationship is fantastic, then out of the blue lots of fights over stupid crap happen. Then she doesn't want to have sex that much anymore. Then she asks for space. Then you panic and be needy. Then she is repulsed by you and doesn't want a pathetic beggar back. Then she turns up with somebody else next week. Then you're shocked because you never thought she was capable of it.
    dlee889 Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Feb 8, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpniceguy
    For about a year and a half I have been dating the most wonderful girl. Her and I have fallen in love and want to spend our lives together. However, recently, she and I have been tense. We've had several arguments in the past few weeks about absolutely nothing worth arguing over (i.e. I want to talk on the phone and she doesn't.). She can be very disrespectful and hurtful to me in her actions and what she says even if she doesn't try it. I do try and forgive her, but sometimes I get very upset and we argue. I would consider myself a very sensitive guy, my feelings get hurt easily, and I definitely don't want to risk losing her, she's everything to me! Sexually, our relationship has been good until recently. Maybe she has a problem with me being 18 and she being only 16 (yes, it is legal here based on state laws). Also, there is pressure from me going away to college in 6 or 7 months (still don't know where or how far away). She recently has told me that she needs "space" and time away from me. I don't know how to handle it at all. I'm hoping that we will eventually talk, make up and move on. What should I do??
    AT 18 AND 16 YOU BOTH HAVE A LIFE TIME AHEAD OF YOU . She may have another guy but this is natural,do you fancy any other girls? Go to college , have fun and let her grow up ,you never know yee may meet up later along the line
    missjbtheboss Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2011, 06:02 PM
    I can understand where she's coming from. I one's to told my boyfriend I need to find myself. And I told him that because we had been together for so long I felt lose. He was my 1st and he was the only guy I ever live with and I was about 20, 21. He had kids by other women. He was all was good to me treated me good but I just did not want to be tied down any more. Because I felt like it was more out there to see. And I wanted too see. It and just be free and no body holding me back from liven my life . And I think what your girlfriend is saying is she does still love you but just give her a chance to see what else is out there and if it's meant for y'all too be then y'all will be one again. So stand by her no matter what she desides to do she's only human and the world is here for us to all be who we want to be and do what we want to do. It's better you find out sooner than latter. Missjbtheboss:-)

And I'am not trying to be a know it all but, every body comes to a point in there life where they mite need too make some changes . But that person is only human and are just like every body else only time will tell. And when it's not working out don't force it just late every thang work it's self out. Missjbtheboss

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My girlfriend broke up because she needs time to herself. [ 10 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and I have a question about a relationship problem. After 8 months of being together, my girlfriend has recently told me that she wants to break up. Our relationship was great and she has admitted that I was the best boyfriend she has ever had. However,...

Dark brown lines going across my screen from time to time [ 10 Answers ]

I have a problem with my computer monitor, I have these brown horizontal lines that go across my screen sometimes (REALLY ANNOYING). I just replaced the video card so its not that, also if I hit the side of the monitor the lines go away:p Just wondering if there's anything I can do that can fix it!...

Girlfriend needs a break/time to think it through [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, my girlfriend and I have been together for 6 months, but were arguing rather frequently for maybe the latter 3 months - recently she went for a 3-week long trip overseas and we argued again while she was there.. and when she came back (yesterday) she told me that she needed a break from the...

Girlfriend needs "time and space" [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: I have known my girlfriend since I was a junior and she was a freshman in high school. She really liked me back then and I didn't really give her too much attention because I had a girlfriend. Anyway, I came to find that I had fallen in love with her over the past seven years, and I...

View more questions Search