Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeoKDarkmatter Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2011, 11:09 PM
    Matrix Question
    Two parts to this question have answered the first part, stuck on this area on how to work out:
    (Note: Matrix A corresponds to a rotation of the plane through theta radians, about the origin, anticlockwise.
    ii) Find the matrix power A^3, and thus deduce identities for sin(3theta) and cos(3theta). Using matrix A = [cos theta -sin theta
    sin theta cos theta]
    iii) Find the least n >= 1 with A^n = I the identity matrix, where
    A = [-1 0 0 0
    0 0 0 1
    0 1 0 0
    0 0 1 0].
    :o/
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jul 5, 2011, 07:22 AM
    What did you get when you calculated A^3? I assume you know how to multiply a 2x2 matrix by itself a couple of times?

As for part (iii), notice that the matrix A is partitioned. The top left partition is simply [-1], while the bottom right is a 3x3 rotation matrix [0 0 1 ; 1 0 0 ; 0 1 0;]. This particular rotation matrix rotates through 120 degrees about the x1=x2=x3 axis. Thus, every three complete rotations (A^3, A^6, A^9, etc.) will result in the identity matrix for that partition. However, since the top left partition is -1, odd exponents will result in that partition being negative. In order to get a +1 in that partition, the exponent must be positive, so the minimum n to get the entire 4x4 matrix to be the identity matrix is 6.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identity matrix [ 1 Answers ]

6x-18y-30z=-24 -3x+13y+19z=16 2x-8y-17z=-25 I need the identity matrix

AC comes on and off on toyota matrix [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2004 Toyota Matrix, 4 cylinder 6 speed. The AC comes on fine, but it won't stay on, it turns on 3 or 4 minutes then off 3 or 4 minutes and so on. I recharged the freon to the correct pressure also. Need help to fix this problem. ...

View more questions Search