Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    illinois1 Posts: 92, Reputation: 2

Jul 2, 2011, 05:42 AM
    Transmission fluid link
    I have a 1 year warranty on a new transmission. I have taken it back to the shop a number of times. It still leaks by the differential. The shop owner says its not a big deal but I would like to have it fixed. It was brought out I could just add fluid as it gets low.

I was thinking this would be covered by the warranty. If it has seepage or a slow drip is it unreasonable to request it be repaired. I heard it was kind of a big job. The car is older but I'm planning on holding on to it for a back up.

The mechanic says the trans is 100 percent. The credit card company extends the warranty and they told me to get it 100 percent before they will cover for the additional year. The year is up which is in about a month.The shop has already repaired the thing three times. In my view if it is not containing the fluid it is not functioning 100%. I don't want to ask for what is not practical to do but I do want to meet the requirement of the credit card company which I contacted.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2011, 06:26 AM

I'd contact the manufacturer at this point.

Jul 2, 2011, 11:10 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I had the job done at a local transmission establishment. Who would I contact? By establishment you are saying BBB?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2011, 02:47 PM

If the transmission is leaking AND the shop that installed it is not solving the problem AND you're running out of warranty I would call the company that manufactured OR assembled the transmission AS WELL AS the Better Business Bureau.

Sounds like the shop is playing games with you - you are very calm compared to what my attitude would be!

Don't let them stall you out of your warranty.

Jul 2, 2011, 08:27 PM
    I charged the purchase on my credit card so, I have an extra year of warranty by the credit card company. I put a plastic bucket under the differential and I'm collecting the fluid so the person has no questions. I'm going to take it in
    Tuesday or Wednesday. I think they rebuild them in the shop so I think your stuck dealing with them on it.

Jul 7, 2011, 05:13 PM
    I got a new gasket on the area leaking and its dry now. It was a run around but it seems done right now.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2011, 04:15 AM

I realize that this issue is resolved, but I'd like to throw my two cents in.

The differential is part of the axle, not the transmission. It holds gear oil, not transmission fluid. If they replaced only your transmission, they're under no obligation to repair a separate leak unless it was caused by their neglect or improper installation. Due to your admission that this car is "older" and a gasket was the culprit, I'd say the shop wasn't at fault.

Additionally, I'm quite shocked that your credit card company "told" you they would match a warranty which has absolutely no relation to them or their business whatsoever. I wouldn't bank on that if the transmission fails after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to remove some of my AT fluid before adding transmission fluid conditioner? [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a 20 oz. bottle of "lucas oil automatic transmission fluid conditioner" for my 93 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. It has 145,000 miles on it. I want to add a 20 oz. bottle of this lucas oil transmission fluid conditioner but don't know if I should remove some of my AT fluid before I...

No transmission fluid [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2000 Hyundai accent. I was changing oil and mistakenly drained tranny fluid instead. I then put about 4 1/2 quarts of oil in engine on top of what was already in thinking I drained everything. About 8 1/2 quarts were in engine! I started car and let idle with all that oil and no tranny...

Transmission Fluid [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo. Where do you find the dipstick to check the transmission fluid and where is the opening to replace the transmission fluid? None of these are visible by looking under the hood.

Transmission fluid [ 1 Answers ]

What kind of fluid do I put in the transmission of a 94 honda civic 5 speed manual?

View more questions Search