Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    palerider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2011, 03:18 AM
    Second bill from dentist for payment?
    Are dentists required to accept the payment that insurance sets? For instance I am billed 300.00 I pay 50 up front as co-pay insuance covers 120.00 now I get a bill for 103.00 this math does not add up. How is it set up?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 2, 2011, 03:40 AM

I don't know how it is set up. I don't know your insurance company. Mine pays 75%. My dentist hands me the bill when I am there, I sign that I agree to the charges, they submit it to my insurance company; insurance company pays the dentist their portion, then my dentist bills me the balance. Is this not the case with yours?

Dentists are not required to accept what the insurance company offers. Why should they for services rendered, take anything less then what they are entitled too.

Your bill was $300. Did you pay $l50, insurance pays l50. Is that not so? What do you mean you paid 50, you paid 50 dollars?

Tick
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2011, 05:00 AM

Hello p:

The business relationship is between YOU and your Dentist. He can bill you whatever you and he have agreed upon. Your insurance will pay whatever it will based on the agreement you have with them... If it's not enough, then YOU pay the difference.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2011, 06:38 AM

It depends on the carrier, the contract between the carrier and the dentist and the contract between you and the dentist.

In some cases a dentist will agree to accept the amount paid by the insurer. In other cases, not. Looks like your dentist doesn't. Double check with the carrier to see if the dentist has agreed to accept the insurance payment. Otherwise you are required to pay. If you have a question on the math, ask the billing department.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2011, 06:40 AM

In some cases the Dentist HAS to accept what the policy allows and no more. In others you pay some, the company pays some.

Companies vary.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 2, 2011, 08:52 AM

It will depend on the contract your doctor has with the insurance company and the type of policy you have.

If your insurance company for example, pays 80 percent of the reasonable and customary charge, after you pay a 50 dollar co pay,

Then you will owe ( at least 20 percent) but if there is not an agreement to discount the rest you will owe it. It is more common in medical insurance for this to be discounted. But with dental insurance it is becoming less common

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex girlfriend wants to sue me for a dentist bill? [ 1 Answers ]

My Ex girlfriend is trying to sue me for a unpaid dental bill that she paid for in December of 2010. The issue is that her and I had made an agreement that if she help me paid my dental bill then I will put her on my health insurance. Well in July we had broken up and she took herself off my health...

I paid full balance to the dentist. How much I'd get back from insurance payment? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello experts! Here is briefly what happened. My wife had dental surgery in June. We paid a small portion (~$50) of the total ($900) at the desk and the rest was supposed to be covered by insurance. A couple weeks later I've got the bill from the doctor for the rest of the amount ($850) and paid...

Dentist office refuses payment [ 4 Answers ]

Can a dentist office in the state of Michigan refuse payment on a bill. I owe aprox. 850.00 and I sent them 200.00 and said I would pay 200.00 a month until balance was paid in full. They sent my check back and refused payment. Said they needed full amount owed in 30 days. I am not sure if this...

Bill Payment [ 1 Answers ]

If a firm pays it bills with a 30-day delay, what fraction of its purchases will be paid for in the current quarter? In the following quarter? What if its payment delay is 60-days? Can anyone tell me how to start this? I'm sure it's an equation but I can't wrap my arms around where to even...

Dentist bill out of control, please help! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I recently received an $1800 dentist bill, of which 80% I don't believe I should be liable for... Basically, I went to the dentist several times last year, and apparently the charges for 2006 exceeded my dental health yearly limit. Therefore this $1800 are the charges in access of that...

View more questions Search