Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    S.E.Rob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2011, 08:38 AM
    Transfer a 501(c)(3)
    Can a 501c3 be transferred to another person?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Finally, most organization create a set of by laws when they are setup. I'm not sure if that is a requirement, but it may be. ...
    I note that this answer is a few years old, but since I just saw it I will add my $.02:

When the IRS approves the 501(c)(3) application, as I recall, one of the things they look for is whether such by-laws are in place. And I believe the annual informational return must disclose if there are any significant changes to such by-laws.

Quote Originally Posted by S.E.Rob View Post
    Can a 501c3 be transfered to another person?
    We ask that, if you ask a question, you start your own thread rather than post in another thread that you think has a similar question. (thread moved}But no.

A non-profit organization which the IRS has recognized as eligible for the advantages of section 501(c)(3) would normally be a non-profit corporation organized under the corporation law of a particular state or territory. Non-profit corporations cannot be transferred because they don't "belong to" anyone.

However it is possible for the NPC to be dissolved, and the assets given to another NPC, if permitted by the applicable IRS regulations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a board member of a 501(c) get contracts with the 501(c)? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a board member that has a current contract with the 501(c) that he sits on the board for. Is this legal, ethical, allowed?

501 c 3 [ 2 Answers ]

We started a "German Shepherd "Rescue" last year. We are filing a 501c 3 for our group. However, there is a 501 c if you earn under 10,000 Dollars and one if you make over 10,0000 Dollars a year. We spent over 10,000 dollars last year, all the money going to care for the dogs. At the end of the...

501(c)(7) [ 3 Answers ]

Situation: Non profit corporation organized for over 30 years has never filed for 501(c)(7) recoginition and has never filed 990's (probably has not met requirements to file before. Is wanting to do a one time sale of standing timber. Should 1024 application be made for existing corporation or...

501(c)3 [ 6 Answers ]

Hey everyone: I was wondering if anyone could possibly translate some of the 501(c)3 IRS jargon into English? I can do the legwork if I knew what is needed. I really don't want to pay in excess of $400 for someone else to draft some documents for me that would only take an hour or two to...

View more questions Search