Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jun 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
    Dell Inpsiron 1700 hard drive.
    How do I find and remove the hard drive?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2011, 03:12 PM

I have a 1705 Inspiron. There are schematics online at Dell. I had to download the information. Dell has a very friendly site and you can find all the information you need on your laptop there.

Are you sure it is the hard drive? Why do you want to remove it? Do you plan on upgrading to a bigger hard drive?

Jun 29, 2011, 04:37 AM

Thanks twinkie, I'll look it up.

Why am I removing the hdd? I am sick of this laptop and Microsoft and I'm going to give to Good Will minis the hdd. It has XP which in my opinion is the worst operating system ever made. I switched over to an iMac and it's speed and capabilities will blow you away, it did me.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 04:47 AM
    Just format the drive. That way Goodwill won't have to spend money getting a new one.
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 04:22 PM

Just reformat the HD back to the BIOS system and install a new O/S. That will solve your HD problem.

I have XP and have used this for 10 years on my Gateway PC and my Dell 1705. It's ancient I know but it does not come with all the bugs of Vista or Win 7.

I h ave a dual core processor in mine. Maybe your processor needs upgraded. It's not your HD doing the slow up, it's the processor.

Jul 1, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Twinkie thanks for the suggestion. I had an old Micron desk top running windows 97, and in my humble opinion, it was far better than XP,
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr1757 View Post
    twinkie thanks for the suggestion. I had an old Micron desk top running windows 97, and in my humble opinion, it was far better than XP,
    XP Pro is what I am running on my Dell 1705 Inspiron. It runs fast. What you need to do is concentrate on the processor as no operating system will run faster or slower. It's the processor or RAM that controls how fast your laptop is running.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
    twinkie thanks for the suggestion. I had an old Micron desk top running windows 97, and in my humble opinion, it was far better than XP,
    Your humble opinion goes against the vast majority. Windows ME is generally considered the worst version of Windows by far. Most people considered XP the best version until Win 7 came out.

By the way I agree with the others, just use the Recovery Partition to return it to factory settings. I doubt if good will will take it without a hard drive.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 1, 2011, 01:41 PM
    For Information; Microsoft did NOT make a windows 97 at all.
    They did however make 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP, Vista and 7.

Jul 2, 2011, 07:46 AM

When I said windows 97 I was thinking office 97. As I said before, Microsoft is a poor excuse for operating systems, look at all of virus problems and virus protection programs needed with daily/weekly updates just to try and keep up. With Apple those kinds of problems do not exist. My iMac will run circles around pc's running any version of windows There is nothing that you can do with Microsoft that's better than Apple.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 2, 2011, 02:19 PM
    When I said windows 97 I was thinking office 97. As I said before, Microsoft is a poor excuse for operating systems, look at all of virus problems and virus protection programs needed with daily/weekly updates just to try and keep up. With Apple those kinds of problems do not exist. My iMac will run circles around pc's running any version of windows There is nothing that you can do with Microsoft that's better than Apple.
    Not true. There are viruses on the Mac. Such problems do exist. The reason they are not as prevalent is that Macs represent under 15% of the market. If you are going to hack something you are going to concentrate on the 85% of the market.

If windows is such a "poor excuse" then why does it maintain the overwhelming marketshare it has? I'm not saying Windows doesn't have problems, it does. But there are a number of things you can do better in Window then with Macs. Just as there are a number of things Macs can do better. But when it comes to a price/value comparison, Windows machines win, hence the marketshare. The cost of a Mac to get the alleged advantages is just not worth that extra cost to most people. The analogy I use is buying a MAC is like buying a Lamborghini. It provides transportation in a fancy, high performance wrapper but at a premium cost. You can purchase a Ford Fiesta to provide the same transportation, though plainer but at a much lower cost factor.

You sound like a lot of MAC bigots I know. You spent extra for a Mac so you need to justify that expenditure by building it up and worse, putting Windows down, to make you feel better about your spending.

It would be one thing if you posted facts to support your claims, but you are just repeating the same mantra that MAC users use to justify their purchase.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard Drive Size Limit for Dell Motherboard 9C475 (Optiplex GX200) [ 2 Answers ]

I can't find this info anywhere. Please help...

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

Dell Laptop Latitude (Primary Hard Drive 0 Not Found) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am new at this Ask Me Help Desk! My friend Suzy said I should try this. OK I got this comp. from a friend of mine & it was working fine for about 6MO. Then I turned it on one day and this came up. (Primary hard disk drive 0 not found No bootable device(s) selected strike F1 to retry boot,...

Reformat a Dell Win XP HE Hard Drive? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am having a bit of a problem with a freind's computer, been trying to get it going for well over 2 weeks, but EVERYTHING I have tried seems not to work. :( The computer is a 18 Month old Dell Desktop with Windows XP home Edition installed. It was running frustratingly slow, and Would...

View more questions Search