Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2011, 05:23 AM
    I know no one cares
    But it is a sign of the times
    Why Samoa will lose a day – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs
    A very symbolic event occurred in the Pacific. Tiny Samoa, who hitherto looked to the US, has decided that its interests lay elsewhere and they have changed the date to prove it. Now I expect this is more about a place to migrate to than it is about anything else, but when empire starts to wane you can find the indicators of it everywhere, by the way they now drive on the left, just like us
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2011, 05:36 AM

You're right... no one cares . You'll all be sitting in a Chinese lake soon.
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2011, 03:20 PM
    So Tom you are saying the US is abdicating, leaving the Pacific? Already we have chinese cars, chinese clothes, chinese computers tell me how is it over there, any different?
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2011, 03:34 PM

So Tom you are saying the US is abdicating, leaving the Pacific?
    That exactly what I'm saying . Isolationism is returning here with a vengeance... 1930s style . If the Chinese made a move on Taiwan today there are a lot of people here who would say "why is it our business? "
    I know if I was an ally of the US in the Pacific Rim and I saw the way the current Administration treats it's friends I'd be very worried .
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2011, 04:24 PM
    I don't think we have anything to worry about, Tom, we have very good relations with the chinese. We have not been confrontational towards them. Anyway there is talk of more US bases here as the US leaves Asia. That is not necessarily a good thing, but it doesn't speak of abandonment of its obligations
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 03:25 AM

The truth is that as the Chinese have become more belligerent and confrontational in the litoral waters ,the Taiwan Strait and the waters off Japan ;and their continued expansion of their blue water Navy .The nations around them have to consider expanded joint security arrangements amongst themselves and with the US while the US still has the capability to project power beyond Hawaii.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 06:22 AM
    while the US still has the capability to project power beyond Hawaii.
    Yeh projecting power that's what it is all about for you guys
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    That exactly what I'm saying . Isolationism is returning here with a vengence ....1930s style .
    Hello tom:

You're right...

But, we're not isolating ourselves because of POLITICAL reasons, as you suggest... We're doing it because we CAN'T afford it - kind of like we couldn't afford it in the 30's. Surly, a cut, cut, cut philosophy at home WILL affect our influence abroad... That's kind of a no brainer...

excon
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 06:46 AM
    It's all right guys you can be isolationist if you like, we will get less stupid tourists lost on the barrier reef. Sooner or later you will realise you have to stop living beyond your means and expecting someoneelse to pay for it. Why don't you give yourselves another tax break after all you can afford it, you too can be like Greece if you try hard enough
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 29, 2011, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    It's alright guys you can be isolationist if you like, we will get less stupid tourists lost on the barrier reef.
    Be careful, tourism = good, imperialism = bad. Must make the distinction since you don't want to alienate people from exploring their world; that's good for all of us.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 07:11 AM
    It's alright guys you can be isolationist if you like, we will get less stupid tourists lost on the barrier reef. Sooner or later you will realise you have to stop living beyond your means and expecting someoneelse to pay for it. Why don't you give yourselves another tax break afterall you can afford it, you too can be like Greece if you try hard enough
    We are all Greeks . Ich bin ein Greek. Every nation with an unsustainable entitlement state is Greece. They are just the 1st to fall.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 01:57 PM

Nope, who cares. Must have a been a slow news day for CNN, this is old news. They're simply switching back from where they were in 1892 when they also switched for economic reasons. They are a lot closer to you guys so it makes sense. American Samoa will remain in the same time zone.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 04:08 PM
    We are all Greeks . Ich bin ein Greek. Every nation with an unsustainable entitlement state is Greece. They are just the 1st to fall.
    Makes me glad to say I'm Australian, our leaders might be stupid but they are not that stupid
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    They are a lot closer to you guys so it makes sense. American Samoa will remain in the same time zone.
    Now that doesn't make sense, all of Samoa should be in the same time zone, in fact all of Samoa should be united, another vestage of colonialism that should be stripped away
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 04:24 PM
    makes me glad to say I'm Australian, our leaders might be stupid but they are not that stupid
    Perhaps... you means test. But your demographics is still a time bomb.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 05:12 PM
    perhaps .....you means test. But your demographics is still a time bomb.
    I expect you mean we are getting older, isn't everyone, but our migration program is still bringing young people here. Our government has been reinforcing the message that government provided pensions will not be enough for years, and long ago forced wage increases to be taken in the form of superannuation so that all workers now receive 9% superannuation in addition to social security entitlements provided by the taxation system. This policy stabilised inflation and cut off the continued union claims for increased wages.

Means testing is a government tool that is applied to all entitlements in various forms. It has the effect of preventing the rich from accessing various schemes and rorting the system. There is a move to increase the retirement age which is not opposed as it is in Greece. One of the benefits of not having a "Bill of Rights" is we don't have ridiculous opposition to reasonable proposals
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 05:19 PM

There is a move to increase the retirement age which is not opposed as it is in Greece
    Any attempt to reform retirement entitlements here put a politicians career at risk. Such is the nature and the power of the special interest organization that suckers seniors into joining up by promising them discount prices at the restaurants for early bird specials.
    Ultra Member

Jun 29, 2011, 05:31 PM
    Any attempt to reform retirement entitlements here put a politicians career at risk. Such is the nature and the power of the special interest organization that suckers seniors into joining up by promising them discount prices at the restaurants for early bird specials.
    I think we tend to live more in the moment, so an increase in retirement age doesn't affect seniors and the baby boomers, but the next generation, who have their head so far up their backside they won't surface until it's over. You see, Tom, Canberra is so remote that once a politician gets there the rest of the nation doesn't seem to exist. They can exist in their bubble and not need to breathe reality. It's all NBN and mining tax and carbon tax and the great new tax on everything and flood relief tax and interventions and boat people, stuff that us ordinary people are no part of. We contend with things they have no idea about, rocketting energy prices, rocketting food prices, falling property values, rocketting interest rates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you think he cares? [ 7 Answers ]

Okay I have been datin this guy for a couple months. At first he was always around me and couldn't get over me. But now it seems that he don't care or want to talk or be around me. I just want to know if you think he still cares for me. I think he does but then again I don't. He still tells me he...

How do I know he really cares? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a guy I've been talking to for almost a year in a few weeks and me and him have been through sooooo much and I don't know if he still cares anymore. :( we talk everyday when we wake up to go to school until we go to bed.. and we kind of have a relationship with "no strings attached" that's...

How can I tell if she cares? [ 5 Answers ]

How can you tell if your ex girlfriend still love you?

Do you think my boyfriend cares about me at all? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi to all, I've been going out with this guy for about a year now and he is the most confusing guy I have ever met. When we first met everything was perfect and the way we met made me think that it could be "fate" and that this guy was the guy I was going to marry.. But as time went on he just...

No one cares [ 2 Answers ]

I kike doing magic tricks and I show peaple a lot of tricks now when I show them no one is intersested like at schoo no one cares:confused: :confused: I do new tricks on them

View more questions Search