Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lisa.h Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Why does cold water come out of the hot tap and vice versa?
    All the faucets in my sinks, bathtubs and shower are backwards. Why is this? It really only effects the downstairs shower because the cold side (hot water) has less pressure and can't be used. Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 25, 2011, 02:29 PM

Hi Lisa,

Can you tell me if this is a new issue or is it an old issue that has always existed?

If it is a new issue then I must wonder if you have recently had the water heater replaced... perhaps it was installed backwards?

If this is an existing issue then I again have to wonder if the hot water heating system got installed backwards? If it did then this is certainly wrong and also makes the water heater work backwards to its intended function. Here, instead of the cold water feeding into the cold water DIPTUBE that feeds cold water to the bottom of the water heater to be warmed and rise to the top and be fed out the hot water outlet, the cold water would be filling into the water heater at the top (what should be the hot outlet) and falling to the bottom to be picked up by the diptube and kind of produce a much cooler water than what you are actually heating. In other words, money is being wasted here, for sure!

Anyway, need more info. From you here, OK?

Back to you...

Mark
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Jun 25, 2011, 10:40 PM
    Water supplies are swap under sink possibly
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 26, 2011, 06:15 AM

Water supplies aren't going to be swapped at the tubs and showers, but then again Lisa didn't say she had hot water coming into her toilet either... :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

Hot water coming from cold side tap even though hot water supply shut off [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I been having problem for past year now hot water comes from the cold side tap, I only have 1 tap that shares water hot and cold the other 2 I have are 2 separate hot cold and 2 are just cold taps now I have even shut the cold water supply to the hot water tank off, but yet when I run the...

Cold water OK in kitchen tap but no hot -mixer tap [ 3 Answers ]

No problems with tap which is a mixer in kitchen, suddenly no hot water but cold water coming out OK. Could this be a build up of lime? And how can I fix it?

My problem is, I have water from the hot tap but not the cold tap.Why? [ 3 Answers ]

My heating is from a Baxi Combi Boiler. Direct mains Feed. I have hot water from the tap in my kitchen but there is no water coming out of the cold tap. My bathroom supply is fine as is the water to the toilet. Why is there no cold water from the kitchen tap.

When I turn on the hot tap the water runs hot then cold hot then cold [ 0 Answers ]

When I run the hot tap, the water runs hot then cold, hot then cold. The boiler ignites when the tap is turned on but then goes off and on, off and on while the tap is running. I have a ravenheat LS80(T) combi boiler

View more questions Search