Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlc2918 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Removing ex husband from home I was awarded in the divorce
    My ex husband and I have been trying to reconcile since Oct 2010. He lived in his apartment until May 30, 2011. He moved his stuff in on Memorial Day. We verbally agreed he would pay me his staying there. It is the 24th of June and he has not paid anything or helped with his own food. He lied to me about reconciliation just to get in the home. I want him out. Can I just make him leave without legal help? I am in Ohio.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2011, 12:56 PM

You will have to go before your divorce judge and have him issue an order removing exhusband from home. Best to have an attorney do this for you as the judge will not look too kindly upon you at this point letting him back in. That's what attorneys are for - for persuading judges - your bad judgment will cost you either now (attorney fee) or later (when he does not leave voluntarily and racks up bills for you to pay).
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You will have to go before your divorce judge and have him issue an order removing exhusband from home. Best to have an attorney do this for you as the judge will not look too kindly upon you at this point letting him back in. ...
    I don't know why the judge would care. They are ex-spouses, which means to me that the divorce is final (for at least 8 months, maybe a lot longer). Therefore no, it wouldn't be a part of the divorce case. It's legally the same as if two previously unrelated persons decided to set up house together and then one of them thought better of it. We read about that kind of thing on this forum all the time.
    tlc2918 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2011, 01:34 PM
    He betrayed me and our 3 kids by doing this. It has been under 30 days and I told him a week ago he had to leave when I figured out he lied about his devotion. He doesn't even receive mail at the house either. I was afraid I was going to have to embarrass myself with getting my attorney involved again if I have to. Hopefully he will leave by the 1st and avoid attorney fees. Thx
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2011, 02:25 PM

Yes, not a matter for divorce court any longer ( assuming the home was transferred to her name)

If you now own the home 100 percent yours, if he has signed the deeds over to you, then just evict him like a non paying renter, he agreed to pay $$ rent, has not, so just evict.

If he has not signed over his share of the house ( if he had any) to you, then you will have to go back to divorce court to force him to sign it over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you get a divorce from your husband if he has dementia and is in a nursing home. [ 2 Answers ]

Can you get a divorce from a spouse who has dementia and is in a nursing home. He cannot sign his name or understand many things. I want the divorce because of Medicaid issues. I want to keep his qualified for medicaid. We are both on Social Security and they apply both amounts. If he was...

My name is not on the deed to our home and my husband wants divorce. [ 1 Answers ]

My husband wants a divorce. He has promised me the house. My name is not on the deed. But it is on the mortgage, along with his name. My husband wants to refinance the house before we start the divorce proceedings. He is hoping to get a lower interest rate to make it easier to pay the mortgage and...

Buying out a court awarded pension from divorce [ 2 Answers ]

My divorce was finale on Tuesday. The court awarded part of my Husbannd's pension to me. I am wanting my husband to buy out the pension so I could have cash now. Are there penalities and tax liabilities if he pays me cash for the pension amount? I would think that he would be saving going...

Removing husband from deed after divorce [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine was awarded a lot in a divorce settlement. She has not heard from her ex husband for 10 years nor does she know where he is. How does she get a new deed to the property in her name. Thanks to anyone.:)

View more questions Search