Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdub1973 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2011, 08:07 AM
    Adding new switch to box with a 3-way and single pole switch?
    I am adding a shower light to our bathroom, which currently has a 2 gang box with a 3-way switch for the fan, and a single-pole switch for the main (wall) lights. Can someone provide instructions and/or a diagram on how to wire the switches in the box? There are currently 4 wires running into the box (main power in, lead from other 3-way switch, power to fan and power to lights), and I will be adding a 5th (power to shower light).

I will (obviously) be switching out the 2-gang box with a 3-gang box to add the 3rd switch.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and advice.

Cheers,

Greg
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 08:12 AM

Are you thinking that you will have 3 switches in the 2 gang box? It can be done but a special fan/light switch needs to be installed. Switches by Type · BathroomFanExperts.com We need to know where that 5th wire is going to attach to whay switch. When you come back please tell us the wire colors.

Jun 20, 2011, 08:16 AM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Sorry, I updated my post after your reply... I will be replacing the 2 gang box with a 3 gang to add the 3rd switch. Of the 4 wires going into the box now, 3 have black, white and ground, with the 4th having black, white, red and ground. The 5th wire I will be adding has black, white and ground.

Jun 20, 2011, 10:42 AM
    Here is a diagram of the current setup. It should be self-explanatory, but to elaborate...

1) the neutral for the wire that leads to the additional 3-way switch in the other room, is connected to the switch for the fan,
    2) all other neutrals are pig-tailed,
    3) the red from the 3-way is connected to the switch for the fan,
    4) there is a jumper for the hot from the one switch to the other,
    5) the hot for the lights, fan and main power (in?) are connected to the switch for the lights,
    6) the hot for the 3-way and main power (out?) are pig-tailed, and
    7) all wires are grounded directly to the box.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire a single pole switch from hot plug in the same box? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a double box. In which there is already a wired hot double plug, I would like to add a switch to turn off and on a light. I would like to keep the plug hot all the time. How do I wire the switch?

I have a 3 way switch and a single pole switch in one box and a 3 way in other box. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 way electrical switch and a single pole switch in one wall box in the family room that goes to a ceiling fan and a separate 3 way switch in another box by the breakfast nook that evidently goes to the light side. My problem is that we just bought this house as a foreclosure and the box...

How do I make a 3way switch into a single pole switch? [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 bedrooms that I am trying to install new light switches in. They both had dimmer switches in, now I just want regular flip switches. The problem is that Room A seems to want to be a 3-way switch with room B. There are 3 black wires in the electrical box. Right now, with the dimmer...

Three way switch to single pole switch [ 1 Answers ]

In my kitchen I have two thee way switches, I bought a motion light switch that says it for a single pole application. From the wall there us 2 black and 1 white wire, and on the new switch it has 2 black and 1 green ground wire. Is it possible to use this new switch to replace one if the old ones,...

Double pole or single pole switch 4 reversing fan [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a switch for my fan and another one for my fan light. I would like to reverse the fan movement. Would I use a double pole double throw or a single pole double throw switch?

View more questions Search