Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anthonvillanov Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2011, 10:48 PM
    Tattoo design question
    I was considering getting a tattoo with a shield and sword on my arm, but I also want to have angel wings coming out of the shield and ending just above my elbow. I've also decided to pursue a career in the medical field(I'm 17) and I was going to put the snakes around the sword when I accomplish my goal. My question is I don't know wheather to use angel wings or tribal wings because I don't know which might "flow" better. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jun 20, 2011, 07:59 AM

Rather than being concerned about the design, what you really need to think about is whether it's a good idea to get a tattoo at 17 and to be thinking about a career in the medical profession. No matter how good the tattoo looks when it's new, with the passage of time, it will turn into a big glob of ink under your skin. Yes, you can have it removed with a laser, but it's very expensive and leaves some nasty looking scars. I say all of this because I got my first tattoo when I was 17 and hated it until I had it removed 30 years later.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 08:28 AM

You also might inquire with the places where you'd eventually like to work as to their policy on visible tattoos.

I work in education, and have turned down applicants who otherwise qualified--but whose tattoos made them look less than professional.
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Jun 20, 2011, 08:54 AM
    If you go to a good artist they will be happy to sketch up designs for you. Perhaps tell them you can't chose between tribal and angel, let them sketch it up and you can pick. As you're going into the field of medicine, like Synnen said, check before you get it done whether your work will allow the tattoo to be visible. A person should not be judged for having tattoos, some work places are more lenient depending on profession but so long as you have the right qualifications, personality and are heading to success, body art should not get in the way. Also, like Dr1757 said, make sure you are making the right choice on getting it at 17, believe me, laser tattoo removal is very very painful!
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 09:30 AM

Please remember that I said VISIBLE body art.

I understand that tattoos, piercings and bright pink hair (for example) are ways of self-expression. HOWEVER--My company has a professional dress code.

When choosing between a candidate with a visible tattoo or piercing and one without--the one without will win every time, because of the professional dress code.

Maybe it SHOULDN'T make a difference, but the truth is that it DOES make a difference.

Jun 20, 2011, 12:40 PM
    I have been thinking about getting this tattoo for a couple of months now and I have put all those things into consideration. The tattoo is not just some piece of artwork that looks cool it has meaning to me and it definitely will not be visible enough for someone to see and say "wow, hat guy has a big tattoo!." I know I'm 17 and how it's a little early to get a tattoo but I have gone threw hundreds of designs and combinations and thought about all the repercussions they might have later in life, and believe me I'm being extremely CAUTIOUS about my choice. (Commenting to the entire thread)

Jun 20, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Comment on Dr1757's post
    I have been thinking about getting this tattoo for a couple of months now and I have put all those things into consideration. The tattoo is not just some piece of artwork that looks cool it has meaning to me and it definitely will not be visible enough for someone to see and say "wow, hat guy has a big tattoo!." I know I'm 17 and how it's a little early to get a tattoo but I have gone threw hundreds of designs and combinations and thought about all the repercussions they might have later in life, and believe me I'm being extremely CAUTIOUS about my choice. (Commenting to the entire thread)
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Jun 20, 2011, 01:40 PM
    Synnen, I understand your point of a professional dress code but all I was stating that it seems to me that no workplace, even in this day and age do not accept tattoos or body piercings. Prejudice plays a big part in situations like these and I think it's awful. Yes, the company has a standard to uphold but a persons body art should not be discriminated against. I worked in a café after I'd turned 19 and was told to cover up my arms, one is full of scars and the other full of tattoos and the comment I received was not from a customer but another employee stating my arms were "horrible to look at" and that I could be "encouraging others to self harm or have tattoos". But, those with body modifications should cover up the majority or their modifications but in summer or hot seasons be allowed to wear what is comfortable like anyone else would. So long as the person is hard working, works at a good standard and is honest it doesn't have to be a problem with the co-operations of both employer and employee. That was all I was merely trying to get across to anthonvillanov.
    Expert

Jun 20, 2011, 02:07 PM

And I'm just pointing out that whether it SHOULD matter, it DOES matter.

Visible tattoos simply do not look professional.

I could argue that I should be allowed to wear micro mini skirts and tops cut to my belly button the way that you argue people shouldn't be discriminated against for body art. Well, dress codes at MANY companies draw the line at provocative clothing AND visible tattoos.

Whether it's fair, a 17 year old needs to know that he WILL be discriminated against in many professions for having visible tattoos.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tattoo design [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I was jusdt owndering if anyone can help me. I would really like a saying tattooed on my shoulder to repreesent my love for my daughter. I can't think of anything that sounds special enough. If anyone has any ideas I would love to here them Thanks:D

Tattoo design [ 2 Answers ]

I'm getting a tattoo, just a small one on my left shoulder blade. But I feel that it MUST be designed by me, and it MUST be meaningful and relevant, not some useless chinese symbol that every man and his dog has (no offence if you have that) Do you agree?

Basic design question [ 1 Answers ]

What are the two geometric elements of the cosmic order?

Standpipe Design Question, Washer [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first post to these forums, I've been going nuts trying to find an answer to this question. But first, let me thank Speedball for posting a part of a plumbing code dealing with cutting and notching load bearing walls. 2 1/8 inch bit through the top plates of an exterior wall mid...

Circuit design question [ 1 Answers ]

I have previously wired a storage room in my basement, and tied into an existing circuit. The storage room run is switched, with 5 track lights, using a total of 600W maximum, with 3-4 receptacles at the end of the run. I am now in the process of finishing the larger basement, and would like...

View more questions Search