Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    psimetis Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 01:56 AM
    Replacing broken toilet supply line?
    Hi! I'm an amateur DIYer and successfully fixed one of my leaking toilets. Unfortunately the other one required a new flush and fill valve, and even more unfortunately, after rebolting the tank back in and taking the flexible supply line in hand, it snapped off at the shut off valve! I've looked at the online how-to's that mention a nut I can loosen to take the broken end off, but it looks like the valve and the flexible line are one piece :confused: I will try to upload a close up pic, attached below!
    (here is the pic address as well: http://www.a-girlstudio.com/images/i...supplyline.jpg)
    I tried to twist the broken end with a wrench and only managed to squeeze it. I don't want to try twisting the valve connections without further advice. This is a condo unit, built around the late 70's I think. If I have to go downstairs and attempt to turn off all the water to the building while everyone is asleep--and then turn it back on--I'm willing to try it. Any suggestions? And thanks in advance for the time and help!
    Best,
    ~elizabeth
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Yikes!!

You're going to have to shut the water down and replace the angle stop.

You aren't going to want to hear this -- But hire a licensed and bonded Plumber to do the work.

Should things go points up, at least you will have the Plumbers bond to cover your butt.

I generally shy away from working on condo's -- Some busybody in the building is bound to take umbrage with the water shutoff (most municipalities require a minimum of 24 hours written notice, delivered to all affected tenants, before a building service can be shut down)

Do yourself a favor -- Dump this in the lap of building management and a contractor who carries easily 5 times the amount of insurance coverage you do.

Jan 30, 2007, 01:25 AM
    Thanks a bunch for the answer, I just *knew* it would be time to call the pro in. :rolleyes: why oh why did it have to snap off?

I already know what the building management will say--it's in my problem. I guess what I need to do then is buy a new angle stop and a flexible supply line? I want to have the stuff at hand when the plumber comes in. notification of water shut off in my building has been more along the lines of pasting up a notice the day before in the elevator, so if anyone complains, I'll try to look sympathetic.

Thanks again for looking the problem over! Just another adventure in toilet repair!

Best wishes,
    ~elizabeth
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2007, 09:38 AM
    OK Elizabeth,

First off purchase a 1/2" compression angle stop and a flexible toilet supply.
    Shut the water off at the house shut off and unscrew the compression nut and remove the old angle stop. Use the same compression nut and ferrule to install the new angle stop. You may now connect the flexible supple to the tank. Growler gave you good advice when he advised calling in a plumber but if you don't wish to here's how to do it yourself. Regards, Tom
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 30, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Is it possible that what we are looking at is the outside of the female thread piece from the flexible connector attached to the male thread from the angel stop? If it is, why not try the following approach.

Since you are going to call a plumber at this point, why don't you try harder to twist it off. At worst, the plumber will still replace the valve. If it comes off, you can get another flexible connector with a built-in compression washer/nut and be done.

Tom might have a better idea as to how to get the piece off, perhaps by sawing partially through it.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 30, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Two wrenches. One to hold the valve body and the other on the compression nut. Turn the nut out counterclockwise. If the stop's a threaded stop then turn the entire angle stop out counterclockwise. Regards, Tom

Jan 30, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Hi everyone, thanks for the further advice on the size angle stop to buy and how to install it. I'm really tempted, but I think growler is right--this is a condo unit and just in case I screw up, I'd hate to explain to the neighbors why they can't have water until I call a real plumber in. :rolleyes: I'm going to upload a better picture of the angle stop and how the supply line is attached to it. It really looks like one piece (with a squeeze in the middle from my putting a wrench to it to try to twist it). It doesn't look like is has any sort of nut like the angle stop in Tom's pic, which I will be getting once I go to home depot.

Next: I hope to install a shower head myself! Wish me luck! ;)

Best wishes,
    ~elizabeth
    Attached Images

LDR Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Pictures of and how to replace a toilet supply line. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mishap in replacing supply valve under sink [ 3 Answers ]

I was replacing the supply valves under my new bathroom sink as the old ones had old fashioned metal connectors that wouldn't work. The old supply valves had a soldered on metal pipe right behind the knob, and I now realize (too late) that that was what I needed to unscrew (probably by cutting off...

Supply line size [ 2 Answers ]

http://home.comcast.net/~lpeery1/images/plumbing.jpg I need to run supply lines for a bar sink, toilet, bath sink all sharing the same wall (3 colds, 2 hots). Should the two horizontal supply lines I bring over off the main 3/4 inch lines be 1/2 inch or 3/4. Thanks, Larry

Replacing Toilet's Water Supply Line [ 9 Answers ]

My house was built in 1979. I have a leak in the water supply line connecting from the turn-off valve down by the baseboard to the tank. I just replaced the guts of the toilet and when I got ready to turn the water back on, the bendable line was leaking. Evidently the line was bent one too many...

Help -- Leaky stem on toilet supply line! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi: My husband and I are DIY newbies. We just attempted to replace a 70 year old leaky toilet in time for 1st holiday fam visit only to incur new problems. For one, the water supply stem is leaking (right around where knob connects to the stem)! Never done this before. To boot, the tank to our...

Power supply fan broken; how long before it melts? [ 2 Answers ]

I just noticed that the fan in my power supply is not working. After my computer is on for a while, the back of the power supply gets very warm... but my computer works fine. :D It has been broken for at least three weeks, possibly much longer. I am not keeping it running all the time, but I...

View more questions Search