Ask
    becky4444 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 07:59 PM
    If my ex gets married do I still need to pay child support
    Do I still pay child support if my ex gets married
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 08:03 PM

Yes, the custodial parent getting married has no effect on it what so ever, ** ? Why would you think it does ?**

The terms of your child support is listed in the agreement ( or court order) you need to review it.

If you were paying alimony that normally stops if she gets married
    becky4444 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 08:29 PM
    If this is true that when a mom gets married the dad still needs to pay. Then why when you go to court they want the dads new wife's income as well?
    CeriCat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2011, 11:23 PM
    To determine how much he has to pay according to their combined income. Child support is usually calculated as a percentage of your gross/net income (depending on where you live), in theory with a new wife depending on her level of income, and other children involved will change the amount he has to pay either upwards or downwards depending on his fiscal capabilities. Even the income of the primary carer and their spouse can affect the amount you have to pay. It's usually very simple maths but there are a lot of factors that have to be assessed to try to make a good fit for everyone involved.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by becky4444 View Post
    If this is true that when a mom gets married the dad still needs to pay. Then why when you go to court they want the dads new wifes income as well?
    You are going to court to determine child support and the mom has already re-married? One reason is because attorneys and judges tend to ask for information they don't really need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by CeriCat View Post
    To determine how much he has to pay according to their combined income. ...
    Combined income? No. Not normally true.

In general, the non-custodial parent's income, and not the income of that parent's spouse, is used to calculate child support. If they ask for this information it may be because that information will help to understand what is reported about the NCP's income.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2011, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by becky4444 View Post
    If this is true that when a mom gets married the dad still needs to pay. Then why when you go to court they want the dads new wifes income as well?
    Where are you located? My husband wasn't required to submit my income when he went to court, although state laws vary.

As already noted, the courts may want the new wife's income to determine what support should be. For example: the father may claim he isn't working and has no income, yet his wife is earning $100,000 a year - he is benefiting from her income and should not expect to not pay support for his children just because "he" doesn't have money coming in.
    MrRambo Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
    For the woman it does not matter whether she gets married or not, the father is still responsible for the support and no adjustment if the new husband is working or not, it is not relevant.
    However, the father of the child's new wife's income is taken into consideration. Whether the father gets more children with the new wife, it does not reduce the maintenance of the first child.
    The bottom line is that as a man you must support your ex-wife and the new husband. You must help the ex-wife enjoy a good standard of life but you must not progress in life, you must live for her. You now immediate familiy does not matter and it too must be punished for the ralationship you once had. They must not enjoy your income.This is a terrrible system where a man is punished for a failed relationship even if he was not responsible for the divorce or the breakdown in the relationship. The worse thing about this is that all these laws are approved by men since they are the majority in all government structures all over the world but they make laws that bite them.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 13, 2012, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MrRambo View Post
    ... This is a terrrible system where a man is punished for a failed relationship even if he was not responsible for the divorce or the breakdown in the relationship. The worse thing about this is that all these laws are approved by men since they are the majority in all goverment structures all over the world but they make laws that bite them.
    Funny comment coming from "Mr. Rambo" :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim my daughter on taxes, never married to her mother, pay child support [ 4 Answers ]

I pay child support, and from what I pay, I pay about 70% of her costs, and her mother pays 30%, as determined by the court. I have joint custody, and see my daughter a couple times a week, and 2 overnights a month. Do I have a right to claim her on my Taxes at least every other year. I live in...

Never ordered to pay child support can you get back pay [ 9 Answers ]

I have a soon to be 13 year old daughter. Her father has only seen her maybe 5 times her whole life. He has never been court ordered to pay child support but we did have a paternity test done when she about 1 year old. But he wouldn't stay in one place or keep a job long enough to get a support...

Does a step parent who is not married to the child's father have to pay child support? [ 22 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for 4years he has a son who is 5years old. The mother of the child is asking for child support which my partner does not mind paying, Im just wondering can the mother make me pay child support too? I live in New Zealand if that helps.

View more questions Search