Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharoy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 12:25 AM
    English
    Can a pronoun such as she or he be used to describe a vehicle?
    For example,an aeroplane.Such as.. "Why isnt she flying today?"
    The she is in reference to the aeroplane.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 6, 2011, 11:55 AM

Vehicles such as ships and planes are among the few inanimate objects that may be referred to as "she" in English. However when using the term "she" as opposed to "it" the speaker implies a degree of familiarity with the plane - perhaps as its owner, or a passenger, or a mechanic who has worked on her.
    MissTutorette Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2011, 05:07 AM
    I always like the example with the noun car.
    Men often say "She's a beauty !", not referring to their girlfriend/wife, rather to their.. car, an object with no soul.
    Using "she" means some kind of special bonding to that object.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need ENGLISH manual not one that was translated from Chinese to English. [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a delstar 216, the manual is so incomplete in its instructions, need a proper ENGLISH one. Thanks, Linda Muir.

Non english letters on an english keyboard? [ 17 Answers ]

I would like to put these characters, or this picture, into my signature (it says Ayla) but since pictures are not allowed in signatures, how do I make these characters with an american keyboard, if its even possible? Or could someone make them into a text for me here on the thread, and I'm...

English [ 1 Answers ]

The shoreline/ has many different shapes. What is the subject and the simple subject. Trying to help my child. But I need understanding also.

View more questions Search