Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adspray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2011, 02:23 PM
    Working the Neighbors Land
    For the last 14 years I have been maintaining part of my neighbors land which surrounds us on three sides. He hasn't tried to mow around us so I decided to start doing that and now I maintain about 30 feet on each of the three sides of our property to just make it look nice. The neighbor never compains about what I have done. After a period, do I have the right to take over that land which I have maintained for 14 years?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 25, 2011, 02:34 PM

No you don't unless you have an agreement or if there had been a standing barrier in place for the 14 years. If you have no contract indicating payment of services then it's a gift in the eyes of the law.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 25, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Adverse possession laws vary by state, but are often 15 - 20 years, and require open, hostile, and continuous use, etc - the wording is pretty similar across states. In Canada, it may be called adverse occupation in some provinces.

Somehow I don't think a title will be granted to you for mowing 30 feet around 3 sides. Generally the 'adverse possession' implies structures and passageways, or possibly storage. You can try... but what does the neighbor say?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2011, 07:44 PM

If you put up a fence on the property, put a storage buidling on it, and use it for just yourself. You may,

Merely mowing it, nope, you have just did him a favor,

You would be better off, not mowing, calling code enforcement for it being too tall and making him mow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parents deeded land to children before their death, tax consequence upon sale of land [ 1 Answers ]

What is tax consequentce on sale of land that was deeded to children before death of parents (now deceased)

How can I solve complicated uneven property lines through land swaps with neighbors? [ 3 Answers ]

I am moving into a neighborhood, in a house that has stood for more than 120 years, but right away I became aware of how odd the property lines are. It looks like it is because a connecting street is at an angle. Here is a crop from a scan of the property lines. (It's too big in size and file...

Loud upstairs neighbors and a land lord who refuses to confront them. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi from NY, These people moved in above me about a year or 2 ago. They have 2 kids, about 3-4 years old. Constantly, they run around and pound on the floor like crazy. The furniture in my apartment shakes. I wonder if they are throwing bowling balls. In fact, there are several people in the...

Neighbors want to sell cabin that is partially on our land [ 2 Answers ]

Our neighbors are selling their cabin. When they built the cabin they built it about 5 feet over the property line. They have been told several times over the years that they are on our land. We have been told now that because they have been there more than ten years it is their land and nothing we...

Sewage drainpipes are under neighbors land [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a 100-year-old house. The sewage and wastwater from the north side of our house drains into a pipe that is about three feet inside our neighbor's property line between our houses. This pipe connects to the city pipe in the alley. The original pipe is clay and crumbling. We need to...

View more questions Search