Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpless_43103 Posts: 5, Reputation: -2

May 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
    On SSI was sued in small caims court, is my SSI exempt?
    Being sued by credit card co. is my SSI exempt?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 26, 2011, 09:47 AM

Yes. However, if there is any money from other source in your bank account the account can be frozen and eventually seized.

May 27, 2011, 05:15 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I called an attorney, he advised that any SS money is exempt from the bank giving it to them but if I have any money besides SS then yes. I called my bank and they said the attorney is correct but if I have any assets besides SS, the creditor can seize that, but it has to be over $450.00, otherwise they won't enforcement. Thanks.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 05:54 AM

The "$450" depends largely on your State.

Jul 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
    Sorry, I posted $250.00 when I meant $450.00
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpless_43103 View Post
    sorry, I posted $250.00 when I meant $450.00

You can't possibly think that is the law throughout the US. We don't even know where this person lives.

Also - please give me the law on this, not what a third party "told you."
    karlynno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 09:37 PM
    I am on SSI also and live in Ohio. I was also sued in small claims court by a credit card company. They won. They won $3, 777.00 plus $250.00 court costs and 20.99% interest per annum for however long it takes for them to collect.

They can take my car when it earns some number over $3,000.00 in equity. It is a year old now so I am assuming that it will be worth that much in about 5 years, then they can take it and sell it and get their money. Great...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can spouse keep SSI on dependent if they are paying ch suppt and it's less than SSI? [ 0 Answers ]

Husband will be paying 20% which is only 200 monthly. But he gets $400.00 addit for our son from SSI. Can he keep that amount even though I have custody? He says he will give the $400.00 to me, but the legal forms says child support is 20%, which will be less than 400.00. Doesn't really matter...

Can children of a disabled parent who receives ssi also get ssi checks? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I apply for my 2 babies to receive ssi checks... I've been receiving an ssi check since I was about 18.. the mother of my babies is living back at her mothers because her mother has sarcoma cancer and had her leg amputated up to the tip and the cancer then spread to her lungs so she is...

Is Pennsylvania citizens exempt from paying child support if they receive ssi [ 1 Answers ]

Mother neglects my younger sister n brother, every month she gets her ssi benefits n use all the $ on he crack addiction, she returns home when she has no more $, my sister is n my physical custody and uve expedited the hearing for my brother, I wanted 2 know if I can receive some assistance w/ the...

Being sued for $66000.00 but only have SSI money [ 31 Answers ]

Wondering if anyone can help me out here. My dad is being sued for $66000.00 and he only has his SSI money. Here's the story. He took my moms car and crashed it into somoenes house. He is 77 years old and has no license and now he is being sued by the home owners Insurance company. Does anyone...

Can a person on SSI be sued? [ 14 Answers ]

A family member owes some money to my Mom. Mom is 99 and could sure use the money she loaned out. We have heard that a person can't be sued if they're on SSI. Is this true or do we have any chance in a small claims court or family court to collect on Mom's behalf?

View more questions Search