Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trevz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 10:27 PM
    Disagreements between roomates
    My name is trevor mcdonald, I live in Kitchener, Ontario. My question is, if my roommate and I get into a fight and one of us wants to move out and the other doesn't because he can not afford it, and also cannot afford to pay the full amount by himself, and there is still 7 months on the lease. Can he break the lease and leave me to pay the full amount of the rent, or do both people have to sign to break the lease.
    If the lease can be broken by one tenant, and the other is left stranded, is this a legal matter? Also, the fight happened because the one roommate is a violent drunk.

Thank you
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 04:18 PM
    You are both legally responsible for this.

If he moves out, you are required to search to find a replacement roommate to replace him.

Then take him to small claims courts for the outstanding month's rents that he hasn't paid you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roomates [ 4 Answers ]

I recently moved out of my parents house and moved in with my boyfriend and two other roommates. All four of us signed a 6 months lease. My two roommates had a disagreement and decided to break up. My one male roommate moved out and signed the paper to release him from the lease. My female...

View more questions Search