Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMAC73 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
    Need step by step instructions/tutorials on how to create a database driven website?
    I am a caseworker contracted in a school system. When we turn in reports, we mostly just use Microsoft Word, save, print, and email to supervisor. I am tech savvy, but don't know all the ins and outs of technology, coding, experience in the technology field (besides Microsoft Office and internet) etc. etc.

I want to create a website with a secure login for myself, eventually other case workers, and my supervisor to view and print. Specifically, I want to be able to log into a website, see a list of the students that I work with, be able to click on their name, and blank forms will appear (that Io have created) for me to enter information, edit, save, and print. The forms will be forms I will create to input information regarding the child. The forms will be saved in a folder for that specific child with a time/date stamp when I save it and ready for supervisor to print. Only the person that entered the site with their specific login information will be able to edit the files. Otherwise, it will be read-only. All in all, that is what I want it to do. I want to start with just me and my supervisor being able to login, and eventually, the other case workers will be able to as well once I have had a chance to work out all the kinks.

I have been told that I need to hire a programmer to do it and blah, blah, blah. But I want to create it myself, but not really sure where to start. Some people said that I need to create a database (which I don't know how to do) on the backend using PHP and MYSQL. Again, I do not know what all this entails, but I am willing to learn if someone leads me in the right direction. Can you tell me what I should start with first: the database, the website, the forms I want to use? What do I need in order to make the forms (the ones mentioned above that I want to be available when I click on a student's name)? Is there a software program that can help me complete this somewhat huge task? I really need some step-by-step information if at all possible. I am willing to pay for some things, but I obviously can't pay thousands of dollars at the time. If I need to pay for space on a server, that's fine, but I don't need it to be a beautiful, professional website that I spend thousands of dollars on, but I do want it to operate appropriately. I am willing to put the time in to learn it on my own. Someone told me to Google it. This subject is way too broad to simply Google (I have tried this). So please give me more specific answers than to just Google what I'm looking for as I really don't know what I'm googling.

Can I use dreamweaver to do this? Can I use anything that is user-friendly for a novice? As I said, I don't mind paying for some help but I don't want to pay for someone to do this for me. Thank you for all assistance.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
    To be perfectly honest with you this is NOT a job for a novice.
    While creating a simple web site is indeed quite straightforward, what you are looking at doing here is not.
    The security alone requires professional assistance.

May 14, 2011, 02:12 AM

Well what can I study to learn how to do it? I am aware it is not an easy task. I want to tackle it though...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2011, 04:52 AM
    I'd start with some simple software first. Years ago I used FileMaker Pro and found it very easy to learn and use (MUCH easier than SQL) and share, but it was shared in one office, not online. I would start with that or similar software, since you say you don't even know how to design a database. I have also used Excel as a database and many people do. Both types have formula writing ability and preset functions, which you will need, and it will take some time to learn all that. Easy, but it still takes time.

Tackle the muliple users online, login restrictions, and read only protection when you've learned the first part. 'Live' use of a database is complicated, such as what to do if 2 or more people simultaneously edit a file.

You may find that just giving each employee Excel with templates you designed, to fill out and send to you or a supervisor will work just as well and cost you nothing. You can even write macros that add the submitted data to a central file.
    current pert

May 14, 2011, 05:02 AM
    I forgot to add that you obviously are going in the right direction, seeing all that information in no manipulatable format. Having each piece of information in a 'field' that can be stored, sorted, retrieved, counted, and have operations performed on is what you need, not so much multiple users all at the same time with complicated restrictions and fears about compromised data.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2011, 05:34 AM

I agree with Ben, this is not a job for a novice. Asking for step by step instructions shows you have no idea of the process, since this is not something that can be defined in a series of steps. First you need a database designer to discuss what data you need to capture and design the database. Then a Web author to design the user interface. Then you need a programmer to design the connection between the pages and the data. I would estimate the time for a novice to ramp up and learn all the technologies needed to be approximately 6 months and that's assuming you have the aptitude. Then, at least another 6 months, to build the site.

Dreamweaver is one of the tools you can use. So are PHP and MySQL or similar tools, like ASP, Java, sQL Server etc.

Have you talked to the schools IT department? This could be a project for a computer class to help you. Other questions are why the WEB? Do you need to have access to this from anywhere or just from workers desks? Isn't the school system already connected in a WAN? This is part of the problem here is that you don't even know all the questions you need to ask. That's why you need to work with a professional who knows all those questions.

May 14, 2011, 10:13 AM

Thank you joypulv! Your answers were very helpful at this point. I understand that this is not a job for a novice. I have been told that repeatedly Curlyben and Scottgem. I want to learn how. How can I learn if nobody tells me what to do or even how to start?

Scottgem, to answer your questions. I am not an employee of the school. I am contracted to work there from a non-profit agency. The school is not my employer. I can ask for a computer class to help me, however, as I never thought about that side. The IT department has their own monsters to work on so I can't really solicit their help to help me with my own personal project. I can ask them questions, however, about certain things, which I already do. I know they are busy with their own projects that they are paid to do. This is more so a hobby for me as well as a learning tool. The school system is connected to a WAN and their own network, but with what I am trying to do, my supervisor will not be able to access the information since she is not an employee of the school. In fact, she cannot access any of the information that I can for the particular school I work at. That is why we have to gather information, type it in Microsoft Word, and email it to her, depending on what she wants.

I would like to have access to this system I create anywhere-- at home, at school, at my office (located away from the school), etc. I also need my supervisor to have access to it anywhere as she will rarely be at the school herself. That is why I had said the web, but if there is a way to access the information (in real time) without the web then I'm open to that as well. I am asking questions, because I don't know. I asked for "step by step", because when I have asked this question before, I got some detailed answers, but it was completely in "computer jargon" and I still didn't know where to start. I guess "step by step" is not the right terminology. I guess I should say "detailed, chronological instructions that a novice would understand".

To joypulv, someone else had mentioned filemaker pro to me before. If I use that, could I eventually integrate whatever I create in this program into a website?

To all, thank you so much for giving me timeframes. That was informative as well. I am not worried that it will take too long. I can devote years to it if I have to as long as I am learning on the way.
    current pert

May 14, 2011, 11:10 AM
    Since you are not employed by the school you probably should stay away from a website anyway. You don't need the risk of sensitive information being exposed and compromised. There's a smart kid out there in that school ready and eager to break the existing protection.
    Why does information have to be in real time? It isn't the stock market or a multi-player game.
    How many case workers are involved? Instead of each of them paying for the software, you could pay less for the cloud, which simply means that a company like Microsoft makes it available to all your users.
    Get trial versions of Excel, FMPro, dreamweaver, and see how you like them. Excel isn't as into design and layout as the others although newer versions are more and more so (I use an Excel lookalike from eMonster that I paid about $7 for and it works fine).

May 14, 2011, 11:38 AM

I suggest you look into the new Office 365. This is a subscription service that allows you to collaborate with other people on MS hosted servers. It actually may be exactly what you need since you can share data securely using regular MS Offrice tools.

Before you even think of putting student info on the WEB, you need to get the approval of the school. Otherwise you can find yourself in big trouble.

If you really want to put up a WEB base application like you describer, you will first need to learn database design. Next you will need to learn a WEB development language like PHP, Java, ASP.net among others. Once you have such technologies under your belt you can proceed with the design.

May 14, 2011, 01:44 PM

Ok. Thank you again joypulv and scottgem. I was definitely going to get the approval of the school and my supervisor before adding any names or other details. But thanks to both of you for that advice and warning.

Lol at joypluv regarding your remark about why does it have to in real time. Maybe real time isn't the right terminology again. I'm surprised Scottgem didn't call me out on that as well. I just want when a case worker fills out a form for the information to be available with a timestamp of when it was submitted available for that particular case worker and my supervisor. That's all. I guess that's not real time, huh?

There will be six case workers involved and one supervisor. We each service approximately 40 kids with 10 on the waiting list. So 240 students all together. I have the full version of Excel already, because I have Microsoft Office. I will also look into Office 365. So, one more question and I'm going to get into working on everything... let's say I decide to just use an application, which is fine, it does not have to be on the web. Will our supervisor have access to the information we input if she has the same application installed on her computer? If I can do it this way, it would be perfect for what I'm trying to do. I'm just not exactly sure what application I can customize that will allow me to edit when I desire and for her to print and view the files that me or the other case workers input into the system.

That would essentially be the only reason I would need the web, because I didn't know how to do it any other way. When I used to be a case worker for another agency years ago, we had secure website that we went to online to do our paperwork. I was not into the tech side of things at this time however. So, in my mind, that is what I'm going off. That job was not contract; therefore much more structured than this job as far as paperwork was concerned. You guys are excellent!! Again, I appreciate all advice and I'm taking everything you say to heart and to head. Thank you!

May 14, 2011, 02:30 PM

One thing you can do is set up a PC in your office with LogMein.com or similar. This will allow remote users to securely log in to this computer over the WEB. They can then access files based on their logins.

I have a client who uses this system for a similar functionality. I built an Access app which restricts their view of orders that they are responsible for.

May 14, 2011, 02:39 PM

Very helpful Scottgem. Thank you. I am going to look at logmein.com now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to create password for dlink router, step by step? [ 5 Answers ]

I've had my d-link router for 2years, just realized that its unsecure and I want to put a password so my neighbours don't all use it. How can I do this, please let me step by step. Thankss

I have the manuel... I want ENGLISH step by step instructions on mp3/mp4 free music [ 3 Answers ]

As 4 answer... does not help. I have manual... I need step by step instruction in plain words . Not computor words that I don't understand /example /hit button that says... not feeds or something computor talk and words please from what I understand I might have 2 download music to netbook then to...

Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to wire and install potlights? [ 0 Answers ]

My husband and I purchased a set of 6 potlights for our kitchen. There are instructions in the box, but they are not as "step-by-step" as I would like.

Sstep by step instructions for above ground pool [ 2 Answers ]

Don't have instructions on how to set up an above ground pool. Pool was given to me without instructions. Need step for step instructions.

View more questions Search