Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2011, 09:30 AM
    How can I witness to a muslim?
    My son played basketball and become pretty good friends with a muslim boy named Mohamud. He was over at my house nearly every night after school about 2 years ago. The boys haven't been very close for the last couple of years. I just found out that Mohamud is in jail. He should graduate in a month. These charges are pretty serious, armed robbery, kidnapping, on and on. I don't know much about the court system but his bond has been set at 300,000! It is BAD... and I don't see him being released on bond unless it is lowered. He doesn't have much family. My heart is broken for this boy. BROKEN. He was on the High School basketball team for heaven sakes. He apparently attacked another student who sold drugs and had 3,000 bucks on him.

I am so burdened for Mohamud. Anyway, I sent him a letter saying I cared about him and asked if I could send him anything, like candy or books. I also sent some stamped envelopes if he wanted to contact anyone. I am sure he is scared to death. I just want to reach out to him. How can I talk to him about the Lord Jesus? I don't want to turn this kid off. I did tell him I was praying and the I believed the Lord Jesus loves him. I don't want to come on too strong. Anyone have any ideas?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2011, 09:58 AM

The letter is good. A visit would be better, if you can do it - and take him some things that the prison will allow.

In my opinion: Don't preach to him or tell him things that would make him think that you are trying to "convert" him. Just be a good friend.

Support him and continue to pray for him... and remind him that you are praying for him, so that he knows that good God fearing people are supporting him and praying for him.

And lastly (you may not agree with this one), remind him that Allah is watching over him and hoping that he makes good decisions.

When I speak to Muslims, I have no problem using "Allah" where we Christians would normally use the word "God".

In both cases it means the same: The Omnipotent and Omnipresent one: God the Father.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 9, 2011, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    How can I talk to him about the Lord Jesus? I don't want to turn this kid off. I did tell him I was praying and the I believed the Lord Jesus loves him. I don't want to come on too strong. Anyone have any ideas?
    Hello Tess:

Ever hear about EST? It's kind of like the Christian church... Werner Erhardt doesn't have salesmen.. He's a very smart Jewish fellow, whose name used to be John Rosenberg. His graduates do all the selling for him, for FREE, of course... Because, "getting it", involved spreading it. And, if you didn't spread it, you obviously didn't "get it".

Is it possible to be a good Christian WITHOUT spreading it?? You asked about not wanting to turn the kid off. Having MY religion, or lack thereof, disrespected turns ME off. I don't know why it wouldn't turn the kid off.

I know this isn't a Christian discussion forum... But, it does involve jail, and I'm the jail guy.

excon
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2011, 11:10 AM

Rick and Ex,

I appreciate your input. I don't want to turn the boy off and I don't want to disrepect him or his right to believe in Allah or whatever.

Ex, Yes it is possible to be a good Christian without preaching to him if that is what you mean by spreading. But maybe just by showing him love, compassion I can spread the message of Christianity. I just hope I haven't turned him off already...

That's why I asked your opinions. I did mention Jesus in my letter to him. ( Yikes.. should have asked opinions BEFORE I sent the letter) Hoope it wasn't offensive. But I didn't want to sound cliche' or cheesy and I probably did. This is hard for me. I have such a heart for teenage boys. I have them. I adore them.
    FYI EX, I don't know what you are talking about in your first paragraph? HUH? Scratchin my head.

Rick,
    My son is going to go see him in jail. I would certainly go but don't want him to feel uncomfortable. I want to get a feel for how he responds to my son and then I will go. Thanks for your comments.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 9, 2011, 11:20 AM
    Thats why I asked your opinions. I did mention Jesus in my letter to him. ( Yikes..should have asked opinions BEFORE I sent the letter) Hoope it wasn't offensive.
    Hello again, Tessy:

Mentioning where YOU come from isn't offensive at all. Suggesting he embrace it, is... To me, I'm attracted to Christians who LIVE a Christian life. I'm turned off by the ones who TALK about it..

excon

PS> It's a GOOD thing that you don't know about EST.
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2011, 11:33 AM

Ex,

Thanks for saying that. I did mention Jesus but I didn't suggest he embrace my faith. I just threw it out there. If he is ever interested, then maybe he will say something to me.

P.s.. . it is hard to live the Christian life. I screw up all the time. I'm sure I turn people off because of it. But I feel like the world is extra hard on Christians. I've been asked on this very site if my" attitude"
    Was part of my faith. Ha ha ha... I guess I've been a smart alec! But just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I'm perfect. I get ticked off too! So don't be too hard on us. :) just saying
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

May 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
    Ex,

Thanks for saying that. I did mention Jesus but I didn't suggest he embrace my faith. I just threw it out there. If he is ever interested, then maybe he will say something to me.

P.s. ..it is hard to live the Christian life. I screw up all the time. I'm sure I turn people off because of it. But I feel like the world is extra hard on Christians. I've been asked on this very site if my" attitude"
    was part of my faith. ha ha ha...I guess I've been a smart alec! But just because I'm a Christian doesn't mean I'm perfect. I get ticked off too! so don't be too hard on us. :) just sayin
    Tess - let me first say that I think your willingness to love this young man and reach out to him is wonderful.

Secondly, this is my opinion and how I approach my life as a disciple of Christ. I look for opportunities in my life to love other people. The people that I am friends with know that I love and care for them because I show it with my actions. Quite frankly, I rarely share my faith with others because most of the time people aren't interested in hearing it. If people want to discuss spiritual things, I love to do that. But I've also learned that most of the time we are living our lives, struggling in our own faith, struggling to come to terms with the challenges of our lives in light of the gospel. Sometimes we rely on the love and care of people who don't even share our own faith. Life isn't always as it seems.

My advice to you is to go and just be a friend to this young man. Get to know him for who he is... get to know his story. Right now might not even be the appropriate time to talk to him about what you believe and why since he is most likely in a state of shock. I think people are more apt to listen to the reason of hope that has captured your own heart when they have come to trust you and know that you are a person with good intentions. That kind of trust takes time to build in human relationships.

So I'd say that if you are looking to be a friend to this young man, do it not because you hope he'll listen to you about Jesus... do it because it is the right thing to do. God is sovereign and there's a time and a place for man to reason with his maker. We just need to be willing to stand in the gap and love each other as those made in the image of God.

Those are my two cents. Again, I appreciate your willingness to give the love that you have in your heart to someone who could really use it.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2011, 06:28 PM

Jake,

I'm always blown away by your answers. Seriously, I wish I would have had such wisdom at your age. Wow! And thank you.
    I did mention the Lord Jesus in my letter to him. I didn't say much but it did affect him... maybe not the " Jesus" part but just the fact that I cared enough to send him a letter. Somehow he was able to make the bond. He sent a text to my son this morning to say the letter brought tears to his eyes and it was the last thing he expected. He wants to come over to see me and I sincerely hope he does. I totally agree with your thoughts.. I won't push my faith but I will reach out to him because it is the right thing to do.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2011, 06:53 PM

All you do is be a good friend and be there for him, no preaching what so ever. You do things for him if you want to, with no plan on conversion, If latter when he is out, he remembers them and comes to you, or if he asks you about your faith, great. But you let him have the choice and ask you about faith.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crime to expose identity of witness in federal witness protection program? [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone cite me to the statute that makes exposing identity of witness in federal witness protection program a crime?

View more questions Search