Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    compiler Posts: 91, Reputation: -1

May 7, 2011, 11:21 PM
    Charging car battery doesn't work. Will jump up work?
    A car battery is dead. I tried to charge the battery by a battery charger but it does not work. The panel lighting still gets dimmer. If the battery is unable to be charged, should I continue to try the jump up or the jump up will also not work? Does jump up functions the same as charging battery or different?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 8, 2011, 03:52 AM

You may need to replace the battery and have you charging system checked right away. If a battery is too low they won't charge back up.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 8, 2011, 05:00 AM

Install a new battery, after cleaning the battery cable connections.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2011, 05:08 AM

Just to add here, a jump start actually bypasses the battery. A car battery is used to provide a spark that starts the engine. So jumping bypasses the battery and provides that spark. While the engine is running it charges the battery.

If a battery won't hold a charge it needs to be replaced.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 8, 2011, 05:35 AM
    And you may have something that is draining the battery (short) and a new one will just drain too.
    chaosmaster1 Posts: 294, Reputation: 12

May 9, 2011, 04:30 AM
    It sounds like the alternator may need to be replaced
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 9, 2011, 05:41 AM

Test reply

May 9, 2011, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Just to add here, a jump start actually bypasses the battery. A car battery is used to provide a spark that starts the engine. So jumping bypasses the battery and provides that spark. While the engine is running it charges the battery.

If a battery won't hold a charge it needs to be replaced.
    By testing jump has started the vehicle though I tried charging the battery first. So, jump starting does be different from charging the battery. When charging battery does not work, jump starting should be tried next or the jump starting should be performed first. Only ScottGem’s reply explain the difference between charging and jump starting though he had better to add a few more words to his reply as a direct answer such as yes, try the jump up if the charging does not work. Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2011, 03:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    Only ScottGem’s reply explain the difference between charging and jump starting though he had better to add a few more words to his reply as a direct answer such as yes, try the jump up if the charging does not work. Thanks.
    That's why I added my response, because I felt you didn't know the difference. But I specified I was ADDING something, so I didn't think I needed to repeat what the others had already said.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 08:24 AM

Compiler, the short version is this: If your battery does not hold a charge, then it probably needs replaced.

May 10, 2011, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    Compiler, the short version is this: If your battery does not hold a charge, then it probably needs replaced.
    I did not ask whether the battery should be replaced. Rather, if the batter is unable to be charged, should I try the jump up? By testing, yes and by testing I have also known the jump starter should be tried first. If it does not work, it may be unnecessary to try charging battery. I should buy a booster cable instead of car battery charger.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My car only starts with a jump and I just got a new battery [ 6 Answers ]

My car only starts with a jump and I just got a new battery. I thought it was the terminals connected to the battery because the positive one was cracked, so I replaced that. I would work but only with a jump. So I thought bad battery. I got a new battery started up fine the first time but now it...

New Battery but car still won't start without a jump [ 10 Answers ]

I replaced the battery in my car but when I went to start it it still wouldn't start. So I have to jump it to get it to going and then it's okay. Why would this be going on? It seems to run okay other than that. Do I need to replace the jumpter cables that attach to the battery?:confused:

Sears lawntractor will only start if I jump from car battery [ 1 Answers ]

Sear lawn tractor will only start when I jump from my car battery

Car radio won't work as a result of dead battery [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2004 ford escape I let the battery die, and now the radio has no power

View more questions Search