Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marlen11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 04:37 PM
    What kind of fallacy is this?
    Let me tell you what is wrong with the republican position on the tax issue. It was authored by the reactionary right-wing faction that is sympathetic with fascist leadership throughout the world.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 05:04 PM

Everything about it is a fallacy. Republicans believe ALL people should pay their share of the taxes. Only people that actually have a stake in paying for things... have an interest in making sure its well spent. And that statement is typically made by a member of the 38% that pay no taxes, yet benefit from the taxes others pay... and expect even more because it costs them nothing.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

May 6, 2011, 02:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Everything about it is a fallacy. Republicans believe ALL people should pay their share of the taxes. Only people that actually have a stake in paying for things...have an interest in making sure its well spent. And that statement is typically made by a member of the 38% that pay no taxes, yet benefit from the taxes others pay...and expect even more because it costs them nothing.

I think Marlin11 is asking information about the statement as a logical fallacy. On this basis I would say the original statement commits the fallacy of appealing to sentiments. In other words, it is an attempt to establish the given statement is true by reporting how a certain group of people feel.

Tut
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 6, 2011, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    I think Marlin11 is asking information about the statement as a logical fallacy. On this basis I would say the original statement commits the fallacy of appealing to sentiments. In other words, it is an attempt to establish the given statement is true by reporting how a certain group of people feel.

Tut
    Yeah... I completely agree with your assessment TUT317. I didn't see that at the moment I responded before... but I do see that now (the bell rang in my head when I reread the title in the email notification.. ) The point was actual details could have been any sort of general assumption, and misconception, Meant to provoke a reaction. (which it was very effective at by the way).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fallacy [ 1 Answers ]

Letter to the editor: “Once again the Park Commission is considering Closing North Park Drive for the sake of a few joggers and bicyclists. These so-called fitness enthusiasts would evidently have us give up to Them for their own private use every last square inch of Walnut Grove. Then...

What Fallacy Is This [ 1 Answers ]

"if you can beat them join them"

Fallacy [ 7 Answers ]

1. It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more that most. 2.On a radio as: Have you been fatigued irritable moody? If these symptoms are ignored you might become depressed or even suicidal, Ward off t he blues by taking a pill proven to...

What kind of fallacy is this? [ 1 Answers ]

In one of her columns, Abigail Van Buren printed the letter of “I’d rather be a widow.” The letter writer, a divorcée, complained about widows Who said they had a hard time coping. Far better, she wrote, to be a Widow than to be a divorcée, who are all “rejects” who have been “publicly dumped”...

What kind of fallacy is this? [ 4 Answers ]

It takes someone with a really big heart to give to our charity, and you seem like someone who cares more than most. What kind of fallacy is this?

View more questions Search