Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    racingrick Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 07:05 AM
    John deere 116 won't move. Is oil wrong
    My john deere 116 won't move after it gets hot. Let it cool and it goes for awhile again. Bought it used. Could the oil be wrong? What oil do I use in the hydrostatic system?
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 08:58 PM

Check your drive belt and make sure it hasn't streched out.

May 7, 2011, 08:21 AM
    John deere 116 won't move. Is oil wrong
    My john deere 116 won't move after it gets hot. Let it cool and it goes for awhile again. Bought it used. Could the oil be wrong? What oil do I use in the hydrostatic system?

May 7, 2011, 08:25 AM
    Comment on DG's post
    I replace the engine crank shaft seal because it was leaking on the belt. At that time I replaced the drive belt. After the mower got hot and stopped moving while climbing a hill, I left the transmission lever in forward and dismounted the mower and looked underneath. The fan and pump are turning but the mower does not move.
    Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

May 7, 2011, 08:45 AM

Hi,
    I merged the threads into one.
    You have an Eaton hydro drive unit mated to a Peerless transaxle. There should be a remote reservoir under the dash in the operator pedestal. The machine uses Low Viscosity HyGard if Deere oil is used. When checking the level at the hydro pump/motor unit, the spec calls for 5 1/2" or 140mm below the top of the tube. Some have a dipstick and others do not.
    Eaton says that the factory fills the unit with standard hydraulic oil with 20W20 spec. This can be seen at:
    Eaton models 6,7, and 11 pdf
    Peace,
    Clarke
    dbo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2013, 11:05 PM
    I had this problem once. Turns out there was only about 0.25 quarts of oil in the hydrostat. If your tractor moves, then stops moving when it gets hot its probably low on oil and losing hydraulic pressure when the oil thins as it gets hot. Also hills can play a role in this situation.

The 116H (hydrostat) has a cap and dipstick for the hydrostat under the front of the seat. Fill with low viscosity Hy-Gard. When empty it uses 1.25qt. If you pour in too much you can use a brake bleed pump or something to suck it out. Or if you're a pro that doesn't require fancy tools, just partially jam a rag into the fill hole, overflowing it, and pull it out. Check the level. Repeat if necessary.

It makes no sense at all to me that a belt would slip when it gets hot, but sticks when its cold. If that was the case wouldn' the same be true for my car? And why does my car belt squeak in the winter but not the summer? If you really want to test this theory out, then hit that belt with some belt conditioner while it's hot and see if it catches and moves again. Honestly though, my experience with belts is they slip less when its hot.

One huge factor that can cause slippage is the pulleys. Look at a brand new pulley and notice the V shape. If the pulley is rounded out then that can cause slippage. If this is the case then I don't think it would happen only when its hot though; Probably all the time.

Always make sure you have a decent air filter installed. Poor airflow will drag on the Briggs & Stratton engine, hard! It will effect the PTO, and the transmission on this tractor. An air filter for this thing is only like 7 bucks or something and makes a world of difference.

Last but not least, check to see if your fan blades next to the rear right wheel are chipped off. It's a 6-fin fan on most models, and its all the hydrostat has to keep it cool. I think that part is about 15 dollars. If you want to get crazy, you could probably install a Dulane oil cooler on that hydro for 25 bucks and never have to think about that flimsy and un-guarded 6-fin piece of crap fan again. If you don't know how to do that, then don't bother or ask. Just replace the fan.

Good luck to anyone with this issue in a 116h. I hope this helps someone else.

Feb 20, 2013, 05:56 PM
    Hi,
    Not to criticize, but you added a comment to a post that is going on two years old(notice date in upper right corner.)
    Peace,
    Clarke
    dbo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2013, 06:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Not to criticize, but you added a comment to a post that is going on two years old(notice date in upper right corner.)
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Of course. I'm not hijacking the thread with my own issues. The thread is not closed or blocked off. These threads are just as useful to someone searching for answers as they are to someone asking a question, so I am adding information based on my experience with that tractor and the same issue. I hope I can save someone lots of time. For what its worth, I tried to mark your post as "Helpful" when I added my input. I don't know if it allowed me though.
    glb325 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2013, 01:55 PM
    Why is my john deere 116 suddenly leaking hydro oil real bad? How do I take the fender pan off? The front looks like it is under the dash.

Sep 16, 2013, 05:28 PM
    Hi,
    There is a hydro reservoir inside the dash on the left.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

John Deere LA130 Will not move [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am stumped. I have looked at the LA110 "will not move" posts and have tried all the suggestions but nothing is fixing it yet. I have a several year old JD LA130. I was in the process of mowing the lawn when I slowed down to turn, when I finished the turn I could not accelerate, or...

Where is the oil filter on a john deere L100? [ 2 Answers ]

Maintenance question

John Deere 160-where to check oil [ 1 Answers ]

Have a John Deere lawn tractor with no manual. Wonder where to check the oil? There is no visible dip stick.

L100 John Deere leaking oil [ 3 Answers ]

I have a L100 John Deere that is leaking oil.. the oil is milky looking.. tractor's only a year old or so.. what can this be? Is there any way I can fix this myself? :confused:

John Deere L110 Starts Will Not Move [ 2 Answers ]

My L110 starts but will move neither forward or reverse. I've check the free-wheeling gear (OK) and the brake lock (OK). Still will not start. I was attempting to drive up a steep incline (about 20% grade) with a flat rear tire. After spinning for a while, I shut it down. Now after replacing the...

View more questions Search