Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackveg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Petty Cash journaling
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, here's the problem, I tried to work it out but getting confused.

The company established a pettty cash fund from can withdrawn from its checking account. The entries must be journalized. Here is an example:

May 1------Petty cash established at $100.

May 28-----The petty cash fund has $25 remaining and is replenished. Expenditures from the fund for July were: $40 office supplies, $20 postage, and $15 misc.

June 30-----The petty cash fund has $35 remaining and is replenished. Expenditure from the fund for June were: $30 office supplies, $25 postage, and $10 misc.

The question is: Do I Journal May and June on the same ledger or should it be separated (on another ledger)? Also, do I show the petty cash of $100 on both ledgers if it is separated?

Need emergency answer please!

I have done a similar one but not sure it should be on separate journals or one.

My answer
    May 1 Dr Petty Cash $100
    Cr Cash $100

May 28--dr office supplies---40
    ----------dr postage----------20
    ----------dr misc.-------------15
    Cr cash------------------------------75

June 30--dr office supplies--30
    -----------dr postage----------25
    -----------dr misc.-------------10
    Cr cash-------------------------------65

All of this is on one ledger. My other thought is to place May on and June on separate ledgers. Please confirm.
    Thanks J:confused:
    mferguson Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2007, 03:20 PM
    That looks right to me. We are assuming that the replenishment is $100 each time. All cannot be done on the same entry because of the dates. Each date deserves a separate entry.

If I have learned nothing I have learned to keep dates in mind with every transaction, journal entry I make.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Petty cash fund [ 3 Answers ]

I need to decrease a petty cash fund from $200 to $75, I have a current balance of $45 petty cash payment in receipts and $165 in currency. What entry will I use to eliminate the fund? 1. debit to cash short and over for $10 2. Debit ti cash for $90 3. Debit to miscellaneous expenses for $35...

Petty cash transactions... [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Based on the following petty cash info prepare (a) the journal entry to establish a petty cash fund and (b) the journal entry to replenish the petty cash fund. Oct.1.2006 $200.00 check written to establish petty...

Need help journaling this [ 1 Answers ]

I am really confused on how the terms of transportation and merchandise should be journaled. Also, the discounts and stuff. Purchased $5,000 of merchandise from Phillips Co. on account, terms 2/10, n/30 Paid Phillips Co. on account for purchases, less discount. Purchased $3,500 of...

View more questions Search