Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pete68 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Windows XP restart failure
    Hey all,

Here's the problem...

My laptop completely froze while working on it. Upon rebooting it it showed a DOS screen asking how I wanted to start Windows (safe mode, Normal, previous settings etc). What ever option I picked it returned back to the same screen. Loop de loop :mad: ! I fiddled around with it for a bit to solve the issue but failed hopelessly:( .

Finally decided to format hard disk and reinstall windows xp. So far so good. I have XP running again and it seems to behave normally... Except for 1 thing:

When choosing the Restart option in the shut Down menu the screen goes blank and shows only a blinking cursor. Only a "hard restart" (power off/on) will get me out of this. :confused:
    I have a funny feeling something is terribly wrong...
    Any suggestions out there?

Thanks,

Pete
    peterseth Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Hi,

Many reasons... If your new instalation is correct, at first, try to check your RAM. Use testing programs to test write/read.
    Type some info about your laptop.

Peter
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Feb 5, 2007, 12:55 AM
    Sounds to me like you have a process or service running which refuses to shut down... if applicable, using the Applications and Processess tab of the task manager (START > Run > taskmgr >OK) to help you determine what process(s) are running a/o hanging up the PC;

P2E

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP login failure/ boot freeze [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running windows xp pro (sp2) and I now have this problem where the system stops responding on the Microsoft xp picture/ logo just before the log on screen appears. I have tried to boot in safemode, but the only difference is that I can then use ALT+TAB to see that two tasks are running: "Log...

Restart Message [ 2 Answers ]

I loaded a program (a wireless mouse) and shut down the computer with out restarting. Now every time I start it up I get a message asking me if I want to restart to complete the update yes or no. If I restart I just get the same message no matter how many times I restart so I click "no" and the...

Using dos to turn off auto restart on error with windows 2000 pro [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to change the auto restart on error from dos with windows 2000 pro. When I log on with the imported username from the old os, (there was no password) the machine "applys user setttings" then immidiatly logs off! And asks me for the username and password and goes...

Windows Xp restart/more problems then what have been previously questioned. [ 4 Answers ]

I know this question has been asked already...but my situations alittle more complex....please read along!!! :confused: Okay I have an Hp, running on Windows XP..The computer is basically new, never used for anything other than wordpad. Just recently connected it to a cable modem. Was running...

Problems on restart [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, newbi here, I just wanted to say hello and pose a question . I've learned a lot of useful information here in the past and I hope someone can help. I'm running MS xp Home Edition, I recently discovered a problem where upon restart , my desktop appears but my mouse and keyboard are frozen....

View more questions Search