Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shrus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2011, 05:59 AM
    Wrongly filed taxes for 2010 on TurboTax - Non Resident Alien
    Hi,

I am on F1 status since 2009 and I filed taxes for 2009 using 1040NR-EZ and 8843. But, I efiled 2010 taxes using TurboTax since a friend of mine told me that it was easy to use and faster!

I have received my state taxes which I think I am not supposed to!

I am yet to get back my federal returns. (I have filled out 1098-T too!)

I realized this is a huge mistake. What do I do to rectify it?

Do I need to inform the IRS immediately about it? Will this affect my stay in the US?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 12:06 PM
    The state return is probably okay. The states do NOT distinguish between interional students and other state residents, except that they allow theinternational student to file as a non-resident.

As for the federal return, you need to amend that return, filing Form 1040X and properly-prepared Form 1040NR-EZ and 8843. If you claimed an education deduction or credit, that credit will have to be returned, as yo are NOT eligible.

If you need professional help filing your amendment, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 05:48 AM

You should file amended tax return Form 1040X with properly done nonresident tax return and Form 8843. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child born in 2010, resident alien or non-resident alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, We had a baby on June 30, 2010 in India. Me, my wife and my baby came to the US on Sep 21, 2010. I am on H1 visa, while my wife and baby are on H4 visa. My wife and I have resident alien status based on the number of days stay, but I am confused about my baby. She fulfills all the...

2009 return wrongly filed through turbotax - Married with visas F1 and H1B [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I would really appreciate if someone can help with our situation here, and let us know how to amend our return. For all of 2009, I have been a student here on F-1 visa. Me and my wife got married on Nov 22, 2009. She moved to US with H-1B visa on Nov 29, 2009. I was outside of US...

Wrongly filed 1040A with status as resident [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on an F1 visa and came to the US in August 2007. Currently I graduated and working on my opt. I recently used taxactonline to file my taxes. I thought I am supposed to file as a resident alien as I was in the US for more than 2yrs. So taxact filed the 1040A form with following details ...

Resident-Non Residen Alien - Can I use Turbotax [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US first time on Sept 6, 2008 and still in US. I am here on L1 VISA. I Filled up the tax returns in Turbo Tax and was about to submit it when one of my colleague informed me that I can not use turbo tax for filing my tax returns. My Employer gave me my W2 form which I used to fill...

Taxes filed wrong - Non resident alien [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am from Brazil and have been living in the US (f-1 visa) since May 2005. I am a non resident alien. While I was in school, I did an internship at the same company from oct 2005 to feb 2007and I filed my taxes using turbo tax in 2005 and 2006. I used the 1040EZ form because I was not aware I...

View more questions Search