Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramjaresh1163 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 02:53 PM
    OPT to H1B (no social security taxes)
    hi,

thanks in advance for taking time to read this question.

here's my scenario:

went to india from nov22-dec25

period 1. jan 2006-sep 30 2006 = opt , f1 visa
    period 2. oct 1 2006- dec 2006 = h1b , single

in both of the periods , no deduction of social security and medicare taxes.
    my employer didn't deduct me in the period2.

questions:

1. how many w2's should I have/receive? ( I received one w2 since no deduction in period2)
    2. which form should I use, should I file two tax return as opt and h-1?
    3. how I can correct the error in period 2?

please advise.

thank you!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2007, 03:58 PM
    1) If the one W-2 accurately reflects the income your received for the entire year, that is ALL you need.

2) File only one return, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and filing as a non-resident alien. For 2007, you will file as a resident alien, filing Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ.

3) Tell you employer about the error. He still has time to collect the missing Social Security and Medicare taxes from you and amend his last Form 941 (which is due on 31 January 2007).

Contact me at [email protected] if you have any need for professional tax services.
    ramjaresh1163 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Thanks a lot for your response..
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Taxes - OPT - H1 [ 1 Answers ]

I am Indian Student on F1-OPT till December 18,2006 while my H1 starts on Oct 1,2006. I am not paying any social security taxes. The question I have is do I need to start paying the social security taxes from oct 1 onward or can I continue till Dec 18,2006 without paying social security and after...

Pub of F1 opt Social Security taxes & medicare deduction [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, Currently, I work for a company in my OPT. But somehow I know my employee should not deduct my Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, the problem is that I just can't figure out which publication and where of the IRS noticed that. I checked the former thread that the tax expert mentioned...

H1B claim for social security and medicare [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Tax Expert, I read that when you are in OPT status, you can claim for social security and medicare. Once you are in H1B status you are liable for those. But I heard people saying that during the period of your H1B (max 6 years) you can claim your social security and medicare max 2 times...

F1- H1B Social Security and Medicare refund [ 4 Answers ]

I read through some the posts, I was working on OPT (F1 Visa) from Jan - Oct 2005 and was on H1-B from Oct 1, 2005 onwards. It seems since I did not complete 183 days on H1-B I still qualify as a non resident and should File 1040NR or 1040NREZ with the standard deductions (from India). Am I also...

View more questions Search