Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Who's single and why?
    Here's an article from today's NY Times about why a record number of Americans are single. Here's a little excerpt to whet your appetite and get those digestive juices flowing:

Commitment-averse men in their 20’s and 30’s, it turns out, look the same whether they have a college degree. In surveys and focus groups, they fit depressingly well into the old stereotypes: they fear marriage means a loss of liberty; they worry a wife will want to change them. They don’t trust women to tell the truth about past relationships, or they are waiting for the soul mate who hasn’t appeared. With the rising frequency of cohabitation, they can get sex without marriage, and they might lose their hard-earned money in a divorce, so what’s the rush?

As a Marriage Project report concluded, with no biological or sociological clock ticking, “boys can remain boys indefinitely.”
    Sound familiar? What do you think?
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Sounds like we hear those versions at this site a lot.

I think something that has been talked about with my friends that was mentioned there in that article was the fear of losing everything in a divorce. I can only speak for my little core group but I know is a big deal to a lot of men. And let's be honest, in a divorce espically one involving children men have no power. There is inequality in American divorce courts no matter what the laws state, as it relates to men.

Also I think something not mentioned is that 100 years ago a woman married and most wives stayed at home and depended on their husbands where now women have careers and they don't need finicial dependence from a many like the "old days."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Single or married [ 1 Answers ]

Dear tax expert, Both my girlfriend and I get a job in US. I hold H1-B visa, and she holds J1 visa. Both of our annual income will be about $35000. How much tax should we pay if we stay single or get married. Thank you very much! Regards, Chipeng

Is there a reason that I am still single? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi... I am 31 years old! I am divorced with one child. I have been divorced for 6 years. I was in a relationship 2 months after my divorce for approximately 3 years! Needless to say... the last year of our relationship... he cheated! He is now married to this gal and has a child! I truly...

Single mom [ 13 Answers ]

Daughter is 20, in the Navy, pregnant, and single. Baby's father is in the marines with three more years to serve. My daughter may/may not separate from the Navy after baby is born. She and baby's father are not together nor care to be. If she separates from the Navy, she would like to return...

How to view single record of ALL people at single address? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a table with addresses and names. I can easily sort it by address to see all the people living at the same address grouped together. However, this is problematic with mail-merges, since I wind up generating a new letter for each person, sending multiple mailings to the same residence. ...

Why am I still single? [ 6 Answers ]

Last summer I had a "fling" with a guy that I've gone to school with all my life. We really liked each other, but just when I thought he was going to formally ask me out, we headed off to high school (we both attend the same one) and he wouldn't talk to me anymore! Boom and it was over! No "let's...

View more questions Search