Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aneesharai22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 12:58 PM
    5month basset hound... Not able to housebreak... :(
    Hi,
    I have a 5 month female basset. She is a very loveable creature but we are facing problems with her in housebreaking. She also tends to eat her poop. Initially we tried to correct her with a BAD DOG when she would do it at home. But she has now become very adamant. She is walked 4-5 times a day but she refuses to do anything outside. The moment she comes in she does it in the house. Recently she has begun to climb onto the bed. For the past 5 days she has been pooping on the bed & she eats it all up. We have tried various corrective measures but none seem to be working. This latest trend of hers to poop on the bed is frustrating us a lot. Need some urgent help. We are not able to keep an eye on her all day as both of us work.
    Urgent help needed.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I don't have a single magic bullet for this one. It never hurts to start with a vet check, although this sounds to me like a pack status problem. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position

She is old enough to spay if not already. It is no cure all, but it can make a big difference in pack status problems. You certainly don't want to pass on her problems by ever breeding her.

Since she is alone much of the day, I am going to suggest food additives to stop the stool eating. You can try the home remedies of pineapple juice or canned pumpkin, or the commercial products Deter or Forbid. I have had the problem with several puppies, but mostly worked at cleaning it up before the dog had a chance to eat it. It is most damaging to the owners stomach.

To stop her from fouling the bed or other parts of the house, you need to crate her. Does one of the walks include a mid daybreak? Other dogs may
    Not be as bad as the young Labs I am plagued with. Still your house and dog
    Will be much safer with the dog in a crate when you are away. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Itself. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for
    Dogs to open too. Metal ones can be put in a corner or covered with
    Something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select a crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate.
    Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding
    Time for more than one dog.

The refusing to relieve herself outside is a tough one. You will need a chunk of time. Take her out, and walk, walk, walk until she can't hold it any longer. Occasionally let her sniff attractive spots such as fire hydrants, trees, posts, etc. I know she isn't a boy, but who do you think they left their messages for? She will want to reply nearby. When she does, praise her. Rave about what a great dog she is. Be sure to take a plastic bag to carry home the treasured stool for proper disposal. Just put the bag over your hand, pick it up, and turn the bag inside out and tie it.

I don't see this as a housebreaking problem, but it can't hurt to read over https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809

There is also some other information in that thread you may find helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Basset Hound Boy... Barking Badly! [ 6 Answers ]

Our family purchased a Basset Hound Puppy two months ago. His name is Seamus and he is a handful! We have a 16 month old son too... so my days stay busy. Just recently Seamus started this crazy barking around 6:30 that lasts FOREVER. He's been fed, watered, played with... and then I just give up. I...

Basset Hound Puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello - I have a 4 month old Basset Hound puppy who barks like crazy when you leave the room and don't pay attention to her. She has 3 other dogs in the house, and when you leave her for a second she barks whether she is in her crate or in a room alone. The bark is louder than all other 3 dogs...

Bassett Hound Puppy... How much do I feed her [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old Basset Hound puppy who weighs 20 lbs. I was wondering how much I should be feeding her. I currently feed her 2x a day because I work during the day. Also housebreaking is not going well because she is alone for a long period. My other 5 month old puppy can hold it all day....

How can I housebreak my puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I've tried to put my puppy in a crate but she continuously whines. But she only do so because she don't want to be in there. When I take her outside she always just want to play. She started doing her business in the crate and all over the house. She's currently living in a cage outside.

View more questions Search