Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Johnnybeer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2011, 10:50 AM
    Taxes - 401k early withdraw penalty - unemployed premiums
    Thanks for reading...

I am unemployed and using a portion of a 401k early withdraw to pay for health insurance? What are the limits involved? I took the withdraw in 2010 but I have been paying out of pocket for health care coverage since July of 2009 up until today.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 18, 2011, 01:56 PM

What limits are you referring to? You have to pay income tax on the distribution from your 401(k) plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty. The 10% penalty may be reduced IF the money is used for medical purposes AND your medical expenses exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. If this is the case you will have to file form 5329 to justify not paying the penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployed & early withdrawel of 401k penalty [ 1 Answers ]

Please tell me what the tax penalty would be for early withdrawel of 401k. The 20% federal tax has already been taken out and 4% VA state tax. What could the IRS early withdrawel penalty be? Would it still be another 10%? Thanks, DarlaLynn: Eek:

Is the 10% penalty on a 401K withdraw on the gain or entire amount? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I may be leaving my current employer to another one. I have realized my 401K of 16 years is barely over the principle invested. The taxes on the gain would be very small compared to the total (I may even be at a loss). The question is, if I take a full distribution is the 10% penalty on...

401k early withdraw [ 2 Answers ]

Hello does anyone know what the penelty would be on $3,100 taking out of a 401k early? What would be the % taken out? Thank you, Robert

Early Withdraw - 401K Taxes Paid vs. Taxes Owe [ 7 Answers ]

Last year I took a early withdraw from my 401k last year after leaving my job. I had 30% withheld for Fed. Taxes. I am getting ready to have my taxes prepared. I have several questions. 1. Was 30% enough? Does 10% penalty still apply? 2. I live in the state of IL. Will I owe state taxes? ...

View more questions Search