Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dacov Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
    To get custody of my niece?
    If my sister is living with a pedo would I be able to get custody of my 9 year old niece as I'm married 28 years old with one kid
    adthern Posts: 282, Reputation: 28

Apr 13, 2011, 12:40 PM
    My first reaction to this is, if the child is in danger call the police and social services (DSS, DCF, whatever name they go by in your state) and protect the child.

Could you provide the jurisdiction where you live and some more facts regarding the situation. Is there a father of the child identified/involved?

There are 2 possibilitites that jump out at me here; first, if you can show the child is in danger the state will/should pull the child and then determine a temporary custody situation.

Here is the problem you will run up against, the first thing that must be shown is in a temporary guardian situation is unfitness of the parent, then they look at best interests of the child. Despite what you might think, even if he is a sex offendor, that likely isn't enough (though it will vary from state to state). In my state, even confirmed drug adicts and prostitutes are allowed to maintain custody of their children, absent a showing that the activities are adversely impacting the child.

If this is simply your opinion that he is "a pedo" you would have a proof problem.

That being said, as much as I am not a fan of the various child protective agencies in most situations, this is the one type of problem they are usually very adept at handling, since they have emergency power to remove children immediately and then the parents get their due process usually within 72 hours.

Though, 90% of the time in my experience the court does not find against the state agency, unless there is clear error or arbitrarry and capricious action.

Again, laws vary and your best option is 1) call the police if the child is in danger, 2) notify the state agency if the child is in danger, and 3) speak with an attorney in your jurisdiction.
    krisie_k Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 07:36 AM
    My 15 year old niece and 6 year nephew is in danger their mother is abusing dugs , and almost killing her self , and leaving the stove and things own a night while they there sleep . How do I get custody of my niece
    krisie_k Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2012, 08:14 AM
    I need help getting custody of my niece how do I get help ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody of Great niece [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, nice to find this site, and be here! Anyway, down to topic at hand. I have an 8 year old niece, who I have intermittently taken care of over the past 8 years. So, since day one really. Anyway, I have had her for months at time, sometimes days, sometimes just one day, so on and so...

I want to get custody of my niece [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 yr old niece lives in sc with my mom who has full custody. My mom is verbally and physically abusing my niece. I live in nc and need to know asap how to file for custody. Can I file it in the state I live in or do I need to file in the state my niece lives in?

Can I get custody of my niece and how [ 1 Answers ]

My sister and I were very close she died in 1999 and she told me she wanted me to raise her daughter who when she died was only 17 months old. She was not married but the dad did claim her on the birth certificate. When my sister died my niece stayed with me for a few months, but when her dad...

I have temp. Custody of my niece how do I get full custody? [ 2 Answers ]

My sister has 3 kids and don't have custody of any of them. I have temporary custody of her 1 year old and the other the other 2's father has custody of them. She signed her to me for a year, but when that year is up she might want her back and I want to have everything ready for that. If you can...

I want custody of my niece! [ 3 Answers ]

I need custody of my niece she is being neglected by her mother. Her mother is supporting her boyfriend that has no job and no car that is living off her and abusing both of them physcially. I need help getting her outa that household.

View more questions Search